1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why I can't come out to my family. Kms.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by apocalypse, Mar 14, 2014.

1. apocalypse

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, so I'm out to my whole school, friends, teachers, whatever, and pretty much anyone who asks. All my cousins know I'm gay, and probably my one aunt (who my cousin probably told), but she's cool and won't tell anyone.

Howeverrrr, coming out to my family is going to be an issue. Mainly because I'm coming out only to the adults. I don't want to make it a big celebration or a "Mom, Dad, I'm gay" because I think that's ridiculous since being gay isn't a big deal anyway.
    Like my parents have suspected it in the past and slyly asked me "which one" I preferred-- and they weren't talking about race :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But if I just kinda say "Oh, no, sorry, I only like girls" pretty much everyone is gonna be like "YOU CAN'T JUST MAKE UP THIS STUFF IN A COUPLE OF SECONDS".....like every single time I tell my family a secret that I've been bottling up for YEARS, they never ever ever ever believe me. They think it's physically impossible to keep my mouth shut the entire time, that they could have been that ~stupid~ not to notice or some bullshit like that....mom, dad, I know you like the back of my hand, I can get away with anything :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But....if everyone eventually hears the news that I'm gay, it's gonna be a problem. My closest aunt and uncle live about a mile down the road and we go to their house almost every weekend for dinners, movie nights, etc. I'm going to be GRILLED about my sexuality, as in my uncle is going to interrogate me in front of everyone. I might just snap and straight up call him an f'ing tw*t :/ I have a horrible temper and I have a high chance of bursting into tears or yelling at someone at any moment >.>

Also....my uncle has taken notice that he's lost his darling, girly little 12 year old who loved pink and ponies....Like now I pretty much dress however I want, I don't care how I look as long as it's comfortable. Mostly I wear boyfriend jeans, boots (any type), and a cardigan or big sweater. And often no makeup these days. Plus suuuper short pixie cut. People don't seem to like that.
    My uncle started calling me Anthony (my name is Anya you jerk) when he saw my hair cut super short though.....he started teasing me and calling me a boy. My parents and his wife told him to stop it, but he was really trying to dig at my and offend me. I wasn't offended-- I know some people think I look like a boy. But this shit can't continue, I don't know how to deal with it D:

I just want heeeeelp. Even just someone telling me it's okay, or assuring me they've read this xD
    Thank you~~~

2. Clay

It sounds like it wont be that bad for you, but everyone has fears like that. I haven't come out to my mum even though she'll be fine with it and I suspect she's heard from my gossipy aunt. Don't really know why though.

3. GayCJ

Out Status:
    A few people
    I know what you mean by a bad temper, I bet I've got a worse one. And bad insomnia really hasn't made it better. I would just come out to your parents and tell them not to talk about it in front of the aunt and uncle. If they do hear, my advice: just stay calm and think about pretzels. It works, I have no idea how.

4. newfish

Just try to stay calm around your uncle, and it sounds like the rest of the family will tell him he's being a jerk.
    As for not having an awkward sit-down or anything, I'm considering leaving a couple "Coming Out to Parents" pamphlets printed out and waiting for them to bring it up. Plus, that way it has more of a "backstory" and could help to convince them.