1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

:( My girlfriend moved to alberta.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Jul 17, 2008.

1. MusicIsLife

and i live in Quebec, so its a bit far, yes?

We've only been together a couple weeks but we really really like eachother.

See what happened was her parents were going through a divorce. Her dad got inital custody or whatever it is, and then he basically packed up and moved off to alberta. Her mom will still get visitation where she comes here, but it wont be often :frowning2:

Is it worth trying to keep the relationship going?

2. Sam

Sam

Well long distance relationships are hard but if you really care about her and you go into this knowing how difficult it will be and are prepared if it doesn't work then go for it. I don't know if I could do it but if you feel you are strong enough to handle it I think you should try it but keep in mind what you are in for.

3. Kat22

I agree. Long distance relationships ARE hard. But they will work if they are meant to. I did it for a while, and while we only live 60 miles apart, because of our extremely different schedules, we only saw each other maybe 2 times a month. It was also only for 3ish months, though. Then she moved to the town that I was in. I would say if you two really do like each other, go for it. ¡Que sera, sera! Right? :slight_smile:

4. InaRut

CONGRATS at living in Montreal
    (sorry)
    Long Distance relationships can be hard. And I think only you can decide wether you want this or not. Just realize that Long Distance relationships can be stressful. But perhaps it's even more rewarding to have someone you can love even at a distance. But do realize that there is other fish in the sea as well. And considering your in Montreal you got some pretty dang nice fish to choose from.

I don't want to advocate your break up though. Just if it's causing you alot of stress it's not worth it.

Also consider how many times you'll be able to see her as well? Can you deal with not having someone to cuddle at night?

5. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like everyone else already said, long distance relationships can be very hard to manage, especially without having seen each other for extended periods of time. If you guys really care about each other then go for it! More power to you! But if you think it's best to remain friends and find someone closer to home, that's always a possible solution too. Whatever you decide, there's no need to rush. I'm sure you and her are both upset about this situation so take as much time as you'd like. And when you're ready discuss it with her and see what you guys think. That's the best advice I can give you on this. :rolleyes:

6. Go for it! If it doesn't work, at least you tried, right?

And oh, dear. I read the thread title and the first thing that came to my mind was Avenue Q. ("My Girlfriend who lives in Canada") Oh dear, I have a sick, perverted mind.

But still, go for it and good luck with everything!

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As the above posts have indicated long distance relationships are hard but there is no reason why it can't work out. I have a friend who has a long distance relationship and it works out well for him. If you think that there is a chance that you two will be together again one day it would be definitely worth a try. As Gerry mentioned, talk it over with her and get her input on it as well.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

8. MusicIsLife

Thanks everyone for the positive advice :slight_smile:

For now we're gonna give it a shot, and hope for the best.

9. Sam

Sam

Well I wish you the best of luck and I hope it works out!

Sam

10. gilca

im on a long distant relationship right now my gf lives in puerto rico and i live in orlando... and all i can say id that if u guys love each other is worth it u just have to really commit to her and her to u :icon_bigg

11. Blue0090

Blue0090 Guest

My friend (a girl and a guy) have been in a long distance relationship for more than a year now. They're still very strong and they still love each other a lot. This is a direct quote from the girl (i copy pasted her message to me on facebook)

"Well, the last time I saw Val was December.

Being in a LDR is only really hard if you don't communicate a lot. Val and I text and call and go on AIM all the time. A lot of it is also a matter of trusting your significant other when they're away. It's all about balance. You have to remember to give them space but never forget to keep in touch. That's all, I think.

It sucks sometimes to not be able to be there with them all the time but it's not the end of the world. In fact, sometimes it's better than being with them all the time because you get to think. It's not like being with them doesn't get you to think but it generally makes it easier to think about the relationship and whether or not it's worth it.

Yep, Val agreed that the trust part is extremely important. Just keep your head up, d00d, you can do it =) Both of us believe anyone can do it."