1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

haken up....came out to my folks

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Bolt35, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    so i just came out to my parents.....it was a lot harder then anyone thinks, i'm actually a little shaken up but at the same time just knew it was gonna be the reaction

told them i was gay and my mom was a bit shocked. my dad kind of took a pass at it, and didn't really understand what i was trying to say. so my mom told me she loved me and will always respect my decision and that she will always loved me. my mom then explained it to my dad. my dad on the other hand thinks im going to lead a different lifestyle and thinks i want to be "with the fruity men" as he put it. so he told me a man was suppose to be with a woman and not a man, called me a faggot and said he rather die then to know about it at all.

so after a convo, my mom told me to give it time. i guess i'm a bit shocked to see how it all turned out, for my dad at least to think he would understand i'm not exactly like that. so, i don't know what's next then, i finally feel damn free though.

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry that your dad reacted the way that he did (*hug*) I think that your mom is probably right that time is going to show him that you are still the same person that you were before, the only difference is that you like men.

I'm glad that your mom is supportive, at least you have her on your side. It also has to be nice to have that feeling of freedom :slight_smile:

3. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's unbelievable. It's so hard for me to fathom a father ever saying anything like that to his son.

I'm glad that your mom was loving and supportive like she's supposed to be, but your dad's reaction is just disgusting. Maybe he'll come around with time, but in my opinion what he said is unforgivable. You don't need toxic people like that in your life and he doesn't deserve to have you.

4. jonnemack

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am always really hard on my opinion when talking about comming out parents. That's exactly why I think it's not healthy for anyone to come out to parents unless there is like 100% chance they both will be supportive.

I am sad for you, really. Although your mom seems to be getting along with it, your father was really really offensive and I can't imagine my das saying those horrible things to me. I hope he understands that being gay is part of you and is not a shame to be who you are.

That's why I think I'm turning myself into a bad person, cause I have no regrets at all for hiding myself from them. My parents and family in general will never accept me and so that's it, they don't deserve the truth while I'm close to them, period.

5. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    thanks, it definitely is, i like my freedom a whole lot better now. i can say i have an awesome mommy :slight_smile:

i'm shocked myself when he said that. i guess all i can do is give him time. i think my dad thought ahead when he didn't bother looking at me after that.

haha it's your opinion, i'm not gonna get butthurt over it , although i can see why now. coming out is your choice though. it doesn't really make you a bad person if you choose not too. yea i hope he understands too

6. Clay

I wouldn't really listen to your dad, don't understand his logic but that's presumably because it's devoid of any.

Congrats on coming out anyway though. Wish I could say something more, I'm happy for you.

7. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well done!! That took courage !!! (*hug*)

They will get used to it and they will mellow so don't be too worried about their reactions just now.:thumbsup: