1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

unsafe territory?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by spydar, Apr 2, 2007.

1. spydar

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    how big an age gap is acceptable? when would you think twice or start to feel uneasy with someone elses? finally ;as long as its legal is it ok, normal etc ?
    there is a reason im interested so any and all views please.
    thanks
    Spydar.

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Spydar........this is a tough one. I know a couple who have been together for many years and who have a 20 year age gap. My own brother-in-law is married to somebody 20 years younger than he is. I think you have to look at how compatible you are in spite of the age difference. Do you have any interests that are the same? If both parties are legal and feel good about it, then why not? The gay dating pool is so much more shallow than it would be if you were straight. If you find somebody that makes you happy (and both are legal) then I would say "go fo it". I don't think its important what others think as long as you are happy and comfortable, the others will see that and be supportive and soon they won't see age difference any longer.

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

My concern is that if one person is quite young (teens) and the other is older, the younger person needs to be cautions to make sure that the older person is being genuine and honest about the whole relationship etc. I'm not saying don't, I am just saying be cautious and take things slowly.

When you are in your teens or 20s, an age difference of 10 or 15 years can seem very large. As you get older it becomes much less significant.

4. dfgnan21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Personally I'd prefer someone around my age because I can relate to the person more. But if you do find someone you like where there's a big age gap my only advice would be to just take it slow....

5. LorenzG1950

As I've mentioned in a similar thread, my lower limit on age is 21 (sorry guys :eusa_hand ). I haven't decided on an upper limit but the oldest guy I dated (fell in love with) is 38. Currently I'm dating 2 guys, one is 28 and the younger one is 23 (see my photo gallery for pics). For the younger one, there is a gap of 34 years :astonished: I'm sure that is not the usual partnership but it seems right for us, even if we are a bit of an odd couple.

Fact is that I have damn little in common with people my own age. They rarely listen to the same music, are frightfully boring, politically or religiously conservative, and are closer to death than rock 'n' roll. No offense to anyone in my age group. That's just my experience.