1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by QuestioningMind, Mar 18, 2014.

1. QuestioningMind

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I just joined this site after looking at it for a while and I'm kind of nervous about posting something but I need advice so I must. I have, after some thinking, accepted the fact that I am a lesbian and I want to tell someone. I don't really know why, but I want to tell someone that I am, but I don't know how to approach the subject or even if I should. Or who, for that matter. I don't know, I'm just nervous about telling someone because everyone just assumes that I'm not a lesbian, no one even thinks of it, so I don't know how they would react if I told someone that I was. I don't know how my parents or sister would react, let alone a good friend of mine. I just need advice about this. Any help?

2. Daniel003

I would tell some one that you feel that you can trust with your secret first and if that goes well then you teel everyone else at a later date

3. LuvMyIB

Who are you close with? Who are you comfortable with that you can talk to? Coming out May take some time for you. There is no rush. You are who you are now and in the future. So take it slow. If you feel the need to come out then talk to a close friend or relative that will love you for who you are... Just because they don't think you are a lesbian doesn't mean they won't accept you for you.

4. Destiel

If you're feeling ready to tell someone, I'd tell a close - trusting - friend or relative. Approach the subject of LGBT to your family and see how they react to the community. The way they react will help you in figuring out if you should tell your family or not! Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

5. QuestioningMind

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks for the advice.

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey as the others have said pick the person you feel close to, someone you think will be supportive and that you can trust. Once you have decided who then you can decide how.

7. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I chose to tell my Sister first as she was very liberal in her outlook on life and I just knew she would be supportive. Didn't make it easier for me to "spill the beans" though and I could hardly get the words out, but I did manage it and it was the right decision.

There is no right or wrong way to come out. Some people set up a time to tell people, others try to drop big hints beforehand. You could mention it very casually during a conversation and not make too much of it or you might even prefer to write it, rather than say it. Lots of people use letters or e-mails to come out now.

Have a think about some of these ideas, but do what feels right for you. Don't worry too much if you back out the first time either, it's not easy and takes a bit of courage.

8. QuestioningMind

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks everyone, I took your advice and got up enough courage to tell my best friend of a few years and she was fine with it. You guys really helped me, so thanks a lot!

9. AmiBee

Congrats on coming out to your friend. I'm glad it went well:slight_smile:

10. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So pleased to hear that. :icon_bigg