1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My boyfriend refuses to come out of the closet and it is starting to frustrate me

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by johnnyr860, Mar 18, 2014.

1. johnnyr860

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well you see I am out to my family and friends they have known for years that I am gay and my family disowned me when I first came out and said I would go to hell. I lost most of my friends and had to get new friends who supported me. When I asked about his family he told me no one knows that we are together except for his mom and only his mom knows that he is gay and she is ok with it. All my friends and my parents know that we are dating cause I told them recently and for the most part everyone was cool with it.

I asked him if he ever plans to tell anyone else anytime soon and he said his dad would kick him out of the house if he found out and that he is scared to tell anyone else for the fear of being disowned or losing friends. But I told him you cannot hide forever eventually people will find out about us and if we ever moved in together someday then they would surely know then. I even assured him I would be right here to support him along the way.

But every time he said he will be ready to come out soon he pushes it away or tries to change the subject to something else and now I am getting frustrated. Yes I love him dearly but I hate that our relationship together is such a secret. He has to sneak around and hide me just to be with me cause his family and friends don't know. What was coming out like for you? Do you think it is fair that he is hiding me like this? I need advice on what I should do here thanks.

2. ZombieEater

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If there really is a chance that he may be kicked out of his house once his dad finds out, then isn't it better for your relationship that he keeps quiet? Because unless you can move out together now, or if he can already support himself, then it'd put even more stress on your relationship because now you have a homeless boyfriend. He may have to move in with friends or family that live far away from you, making your relationship even more difficult to sustain. Or if he's not kicked out, his life at home could be made hell by his father, which you wouldn't want, right? I say have a serious talk about this with him, making sure to know whether him getting kicked out is a real possibility or not. I'm sorry if my answer isn't exactly what you wanted to hear. Best of luck to you.

3. Saint Otaku

I don't think I could be in a relationship with a deeply-closeted person, but I admire you for doing so and think it best that you be patient with your boyfriend and have plenty of communication between you two.

4. ba92

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey, sorry that there's trouble in paradice, bro. I hope ya'll come to some kind of agreement. Coming out for me was pretty conplicated, I only told my parents (also put it on fb and removed it the next day) who put on an act of acceptance till I actually brought my boyfriend over. Then when I started dating a girl they acted like it never happened. And to answer your other question, I don't think its fair but then again, you have to be patient with him. It sounds like he has a whole lot too lose here.

5. jonnemack

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, that seems reasonable, don't you think?

I love my family, they made me what I am today and I love my friends cause I learned pretty much everything about the world with them. Now, my case is really really close to yours cause I honestly would not come out of the closet even if I was dating.

Why not?

I don't want that, period. Not right now, not this way. I am too young to be disowned, I am too young to rebuild a life I have just started! I AM FUCKING 21, I don't deserve to lose something I had for all my life! Try to understand that, mister John. I'll tell you the same things I'd tell to my boyfriend if I had one and if he was bothered with my closeted situation.

Please be patient. I am sure the right time will come, maybe he wants to have a life on his own first, then slowly try to show people that even being gay, he can be the same awesome guy that his current family and friends learned to love. That's hard for people to understand because most of them don't get the fact that WE ARE THE SAME PEOPLE and one little statement as "I am gay" IS NOT GOING TO CHANGE ANYTHING!!

So please John I beg you not to force him to go to a way he is not confortable with. He must love his family and friends too much to let their own misleads destroy a relationship they had for the whole life.

Edit: he is not hiding you. He must love you more than anything, it's just that his life would be such a mess if he comes out that it would endanger his relationship with you.

6. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yikes, this discussion is getting intense. :eek:

I agree with everybody though that you (the OP) shouldn't force your boyfriend out if he is at risk of getting kicked out. I think it would be smarter to wait until his situation wasn't so tricky.

Do you see you and him moving in together any time soon? If he knew he could live with you maybe that would take away some of the fear of getting kicked out.

7. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is no age or time limit when someone can come out. I understand the situation from your perspective and even though its hard I would be patient with him and understanding. If you love and care about him than there are ways you can make it work. Of course if it keeps going on for months or years his family and friends will find out. Try keeping a secret for that long shit is gonna hit the fan eventually. But if you say that he is probably gonna freak on you. I don't think there is a right answer here honestly.

It seems he is going through a phase of would make his family and friends happy and what would make you happy. He cannot decide on what he is willing to possibly lose and in my case it would be hard for me to date someone in that situation. You can see what the future holds and maintain the relationship but he keeps going the way it its the only way it may last if you both move together out of town or even out of state. My boyfriend is not exactly open about our relationship to his family but given the situation I respect it and it does not cause any harm to our relationship what so ever. But if you live in the same town as him and his family and friends it makes the dilemma far more difficult and awkward. I did the exact same thing but under different circumstances and it was for the best.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being in a relationship with someone who is closeted isn't healthy. It's unhealthy for both the closeted person and the "out" person in different ways.

Now, in your case, there are some extenuating circumstances; I can understand your boyfriend's reluctance to come out given the potential ramifications from his family. But my suspicion is that it is more than that concern (and it may also be that the concern isn't as real as he thinks it is.)

Realistically, how far is he from being able to live independently and not supported by his parents? I can see that it might make sense for him to wait until he's living somewhere else, but the fact that he's not even willing to talk about the subject is concerning, because it indicates a fundamental unwillingness to face the truth.

Another important piece here is how long you've been together, and how old he is.

If you can fill in the blanks, we can give better advice :slight_smile:

9. Sasha Braus

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I would drop friends in the blink of an eye if they reacted negatively to my being gay, but I love my family. God, I love my family, and I know they'd do much worse than disown me if they found out I'm queer. It's just what it is.

Granted, I'm not planning to start dating until I'm relatively independent enough to move away from my family's sphere of influence so I don't make my partner feel as insecure as you clearly do, for good cause. Just keep in mind that, perhaps, the reason your partner keeps averting the topic is because they're genuinely scared to face it. Coming out is really scary for a lot of people, and it is valid to be afraid of how your loved ones would think of you. Becoming a pariah isn't pleasant, and even though your boyfriend loves you he probably doesn't want to go through that. Some people aren't as strong as a lot of you are.

That being said, if you don't want to be with a closeted guy, break it off with him. The last thing anyone wants in a relationship is resentment and if you can't handle his situation, just step away from it.

10. robotman

Your telling me, jheez lol!

I do kind of agree with jonnemack though. Don't rush him, if he isn't ready he isn't ready, just wait until he is comfortable with it. If it is bothering you that much, I think you should tell him that as much as you care for him, you can't put yourself through the waiting and that you have to move on. It would probably be the best for both of you even though it will be hard at the time.

He will eventually come out, you just have to give him more time. I mean why do you want him to come out? Like what will it change? How will it improve things?

11. johnnyr860

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well here is the deal I am 24 and he is 18 but he will be 19 very soon. We are both in college and still have a few years to finish up here. I ended up moving out early in life because I couldn't take living with my parents and all their anti gay views on gay people. Moving out has changed them and although they are more accepting of me today it took them so long to get to that point. As for him I am not sure how far along it is for him to move out. But I have told him if he ever wanted to move in with me at my place he can always do that. But the fear of people finding out we are together is what scares him into doing so.

I wish he would feel the same way and just not care what anyone thinks of him for who he is. It came to a point in my life where I could not handle what people were saying so I said screw this I have to be true to myself and that was when I took a stand and came out but lost all my friends for that time and was left feeling more alone and scared with no one to support me then I ever could and perhaps he feels the same could happen to him.

Every time I say the words "babe we need to talk" he tells me how scared he is and when I tell him not to worry he always worries and by the time we are done he tells me how he never wants to lose me and that each time I say the words we need to talk he thinks I am about to dump him because of all this and that his heart beats really fast and he gets nervous because he never wants to lose me. I always assure him I would never leave him ever.

All I can do is show him support here as it is and he knows I love and support him and as I tell him all the time when he is ready to make the commitment to come out I will be right by his side to support him and help him in the process. It is tough dating a closeted gay guy but I love him so much I could never leave him and knowing what I had to go through myself and how I was all alone and scared when I came out and had no one to back me up or support me I could never do that to him I wouldn't want him to feel alone for one second.

I told him I am stressed out in this relationship due to this situation. I told him I love you dearly you are my heart and my soul and you are the reason why I am able to wake up in the morning and make it through my day at both school and work. I tell him I think about you all the time and your always on my mind and your smile makes me happy and I know that I love you and would never change this for the world.

But even in then he acknowledged that I am stressed out and said he wishes things could be different so they could get better for us in this relationship. You asked why do I want him to come out? Because when I see cute young couples at campus or at the mall holding hands or being in love I always dream of the day when I will get to have that. We can't even hold hands when we are together in public.

It's not just that but the fact that I love him and give him my all and everything and when he keeps the relationship a secret like this it makes me wonder if he is truly committed to this relationship as much as he says. If he comes out what will change? The fact that we no longer have to hide who we are and we can be ourselves just like the rest of the world.

With all this we would no longer have to wait till we are in my apartment to hold hands we can go on nice romantic dates just like straight people without worrying about anything but ourselves and being in love. I would feel a much better boost of energy and confidence if this were to happen. For now I am just being as patient as I can be trying my best to make the relationship work for us.

At the time when I asked him to be my boyfriend he treated me so nice and I felt so in love with him and he did everything he could to prove we were meant to be together and that he loved me so I asked him if we could make it official because I was in love with him and just knew he was the one I could see myself happy with. At the time I was not aware that he was in the closet and now the situation is he is in the closet and I am just starting to have this all sink in now I see happy young couples on campus or even at the mall holding hands and being all happy together and I wonder gee why can't that be me and him? When I eventually found out he was in the closet I decided to stay because I noticed how difficult it was for me as a person when I had originally come out.

So I didn't want him to feel alone or scared like I was when I came out so I decided to give it a chance and give him all the support he could ever need but the coming out was not working since I have brought it up a few times and he is still not sure he is ready. But I am trying my best to make this work for the best.

Well this is not a case of being kicked out. Being kicked out is the least of his worries in fact I should have stated he is not concerned so much with that it's being disowned. Moving out is not going to resolve anything because then his family and friends will ask him who I am and why us (two guys) live in the same place and sleep in the same room/ bed together. If he got kicked out he knows he can come live with me anytime and I have told him I would never leave him out on the cold streets like that.

He is not concerned with the kicking out aspect of this as much as he is with the- what will my family and friends think of me for being in a relationship with another guy? aspect of it. He is terrified that they will disown him or that he won't have any friends left if they find out or that his family will cut all contact with him period. I brought up moving together a few times and he just changed the subject and said he didn't wish to talk about it so I said fine I respect that.

#11 johnnyr860, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  12. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that right there is the problem. I don't think you are too old for him, but you are at a different stage in life than him. You've had 5 more years to figure out what you want and have had much more time living separated from your parents.

Since he is just 18 (almost 19), it means he has been living without his parents for less than a year. He is still very attached to them. He is still very closely tied to his high school life.

I know for me, it wasn't until the second half of my sophomore year (when I turned 20) that I began to become very disconnected from my family and friends in my hometown. My freshman year of college I would have never dreamed of actually considering coming out to anyone, it was too horrific a thought. I think your boyfriend is in a similar place.

13. johnnyr860

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess the situations different for everyone. I came out to people when I was 17 and didn't even bother looking back. I was tired of people disapproving or trying to tell me who I was and wasn't and I was tired of living a lie to cover up who I was as a person I out and came with it and lost all my friends and my parents who are (should I say were) very strict Christians threatened to kick me out of the house.

I was so scared of being homeless or just having no where to go that I lied and put myself back in the closet telling them I liked girls and that, that was that. they believed me but eventually when I moved out about 2 years after I did I was outed by my ex all over facebook and that's how they found out and I couldn't lie anymore. I suppose perhaps you are right that is just the way it is with him he could be scared and just not ready.

I just wish there was something I could do to give him a boost of confidence to be himself and to make him feel comfortable around me and others about his sexuality. I already told him how much I love him and how I will always support him and when he is ready I will be right there to back him up but that seems to do nothing he's like a turtle who hides in his shell and the more I try and support him the more he hides in his shell and never comes out of it.

14. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just give him time. Each of us has a different timeline and different circumstances. Remember this: "Be kind, for everyone you know is fighting a great battle."

15. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I would usually not care about the age difference but given the circumstances I think it would be healthier to call it off. If it continues down this road either you or he is gonna get hurt. Your at the point where you fully accept yourself and he is at the point where the walls are up at every corner and he can't find the key to get out. I think you both could maintain a supportive friendship but a relationship just does not seem right for now.

16. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think you necessarily have to break up with him; you just need to talk it out and get on the same page. It's clear you care a great deal about him and that's something worth fighting for.

I also don't think that the age gap between you is a problem as long as you're willing to be patient with him. 18 is a rather turbulent age as it is with so many things changing (going off to college or getting a job, maybe moving away from your family, etc.) so adding in something as potential jolting as coming out to your family can be seen as a major stress inducer.

Are you confident that he'll come out eventually or do you think he'll always find a reason not to do it? I recommend against trying to set a deadline or anything like that since that will probably constantly be weighing on his mind, but if you believe he will one day care more about being with you than what anybody else thinks then I think you should stand by him.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

17. johnnyr860

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So yes to answer you the issue here is that he keeps pulling away from me further and further away as time goes on. I would think with time he would start to get more comfortable around me and that things would go well for us. We have gone from talking to each other every day to talking every other day or every 3 or 4 days. If I bring up any issues like about coming out he pushes away and changes the subject.

I keep asking myself if not now then when? He doesn't want to talk about it today and he didn't want to talk about it yesterday and tomorrows not looking good either cause that is what literally happens when we talk and I bring up the subject he ignores it. Do I think he will come out soon enough? No not any time soon. Eventually? Perhaps someday in a couple of years but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

I never came back out of the closet until I was 20 almost 21 and he is only 18 so he still has a few years to catch up to when I came back out. To be honest this relationship scares me more then it scares him and I tell you why.

I love this man more then anything in the world. It took me so many years to stop lying to myself and to accept who I was and now that I have I have finally met someone who means something to me and I would do anything for him and to be honest if it wasn't for the fact that we are both in school I would ask him to marry me now.

When I say that I am more scared them him it's because I am scared for the future like if he does not accept himself he could get up and dump me randomly someday and I am scared to lose him since I just love too much to let him go ever. But I am giving it more time to see what happens here.

---------- Post added 19th Mar 2014 at 06:07 PM ----------

I have been considering all options and that was one of the first that came to mind. Each time I say babe we need to talk this is important he gets scared and tells me. I tell him not to get scared cause it's ok and after we talk he sighs with a sigh of relief and when I ask him whats on his mind or why he got scared he tells me that "for a moment I thought you were going to dump me or leave me and I was nervous with my heart pounding very fast cause I don't ever want to lose you."

He says this and I assure him everything will be alright and we will get through this together. I have considered being his friend at least until he can come to terms with who he really is and his sexuality but it is so hard to just say goodbye to this when he means everything to me and I have so much love for him since the day we became an official couple.

18. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well it seems like you both truly love each other and despite the dilemma you both are in I think this could work out as long as there is good communication and understanding.I think in his mind he's conflicted and he is fighting with himself on what he may lose. That is why i said somebody could get hurt. I think even if he someday freaks out and decides i can't be with you anymore because of family pressure or whatever i actually think it might work in your favor to be friends despite how much it might hurt at first. It is really hard to fully understand the mind of someone who is deeply conflicted and I will say to just be prepared for anything.

No matter how it works out I hope something good comes out of this.

19. johnnyr860

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes I should have posted something else which is there is a girl involved in the picture. His best friend from school is a girl and she has like this really big crush on him and because she has no clue that he is gay or that we are together every time we are together she assumes that him and I are just "buddies" and that we are just friends so she has been trying for the longest to convince him that they could be together and he has to keep making up lies so that he won't accidentally out himself or our relationship.

However he told me that a long time ago before we were even a couple he used to do a lot of thinking about what would it be like if he wasn't gay and what if he could be with a girl and make it work and at some point he even contemplated (before we were even a couple) that if he could date a girl he could somehow convince himself that he was never gay and that it was just some phase. He ended up partly accepting himself enough to make an official relationship with me.

I explained it to him like this- I have been there myself and it's not easy and trying to convince myself that this was just a phase never worked and you may think it is a phase but I have known you for a long time you just need to take the time to accept yourself. For him acceptance is a very scary thing to do but he is working on that part.

I tell him stop kidding yourself this is no phase for years I lied to myself and in the end hurt people emotionally that I could have avoided if I just admitted who I was and accepted it. Well for now I will keep posted on him I will have a talk with him and let him know what my feelings and thoughts are but I will use care and treat the situation delicate and see what conclusion we come up with. Thanks for responding :slight_smile:

#19 johnnyr860, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  20. Sorceress of Az

As much as coming out would lift a huge emotionally burden off of me, it would create new ones as my own family would hate me and judge me.
    I am the sole person who holds my family together like glue every one of them think I am perfect.
    Coming out would destroy my family.
    My father would probably kill himself,
    and my grandfather would try to kill me.

So there are many reasons why some of us arent out all the way or at all.