1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some serious advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by arkangel, Mar 18, 2014.

1. arkangel

To anyone who takes the time to sit here and read this... book, I thank you from the bottom of my heart... Its gonna be a long one...

*Note: I was raised a christian, and still maintain my faith, keep this in mind.*

A few years ago, I started having some issues. I don't know where to begin, so I guess the very beginning will do. I was playing Xbox, like any other average teenager. Me and a few friends were in a group chatting, and one of my friends introduced me to someone. We talked, had fun, and continued playing games over the next few weeks. *this is about my junior year of high school* I eventually learn that the person I met would be attending my high school the following year. Either way, we continued to play games and whatnot. We eventually hung out in person, nothing odd, nothing bad. The more I talked to him the more we got to know about each other, like any new friend you make, but the year he attended my school, my senior year, something strange happened. I started having... different feelings. I was never set on my sexuality, but I had always assumed I liked girls. I had never had a girlfriend until that year, but I will get to that later. All my life I had been bullied, for being a nerd, slightly overweight, and whatnot, and that really put me down. Ive developed severe depression and low self esteem because of this. When me and my friend were in school together, we had one class together. Band. We would talk when we werent doing anything, but one thing really stuck out to me. We got to a topic of bullying, and he really came through for me with support. This just made me feel better about being around him, and only made me feel closer. Moving on, I was noticing I was starting to be physically attracted to him, but I did not understand these feelings at the time.
    My senior year, I went into counseling because of suicidal thoughts because of how confused I was with things, but mostly because of the bullying that had taken place. the first question she asked me was about my sexuality. I said I was straight, because I badly wanted it to be so. I believed through faith, I could change it.I cursed Satan and a whole manner of things. I tried to pray it away, and everything.
    I secretly from afar watched my friend, which might sound weird, but the more I found that I was attracted to him, the more awkward it got for me to talk to him anymore. IT only made me happy that I got to see him every day.
    There was one moment, during marching band, when we were driving home in the buses from a competition, that we shared a seat. We ended up sleeping on eachother, although I kind of faked it and just enjoyed the 2 hours of that little ride :icon_wink
    I planned my 18th birthday party that year. I planned to go to a japanese restaurant and eventually go to a large arcade place near where I live. I made sure he was free that day, regardless of anyone else. This restaurant is my favorite. I don't share my food, ever. I could eat it every day for the rest of my life. But I gave it to him because I simply couldn't say no anymore.
    Closer to the present, I was starting to have dreams about him. Every night, he was the last thing on my mind. I cried myself to sleep for 2 years because I couldn't do anything for my feelings. I think about going back in time and making myself a girl before birth just so I can fix things like this. I would walk 10,000 miles and back again just to date him.
    In my senior year, I started dating this girl. I hoped that I could change myself and finally stop feeling bad all the time. It lasted until just before christmas. I ended it because of stress, and the feelings I said I had just werent real, no matter how bad I wanted them to be.
    Everything in my being wants to be with him, but I simply cant get myself to get over it. I have been in distress for so long, and it gets worse.
    One day, I was browsing facebook, and I saw him, who I still hadn't pegged as being straight or not yet, in a relationship... :tantrum:
    I literally went the bathroom and puked. Twice. My head spun, and I fell down a staircase... My entire body just stopped working. Literally, I could not bring myself to move from the bottom step. All this hope I had inside that things would turn out ok for once in my life, trashed in one instant. He could literally smile at me and I would probably melt to the floor, and now this. From this moment on, I stopped eating. I dropped 20 pounds, and was sick because of the lack of nutrients in my body. Anything I did decide to eat, just because, I ended up puking back up anyway. I pledged to god that, from that moment on, I would not care about anyone else ever again. I would live my entire life single, loving the one that I can never have, just as long as he is happy, I will be too...
    And this brings us to the present, almost. I just need to throw in that I am still closeted, obviously, to most people that I know. My best friends, and a few others know and support me, but I am still terrified of things. I know I could not handle any rejection, and here is something fun you might want to here.:icon_sad: I came out to my parents. MY dad refused to accept it, and my mom tried to kill herself in front of me. My mother is the closest person to me in my life. The person I would go to ANYTHING about. Her exact words were "I can't live having a gay son" as she tried to shove pills down her throat. Shockingly enough, she is still here, and I think it sinks in a little bit more each day, but they still cling on to the hope that I might be straight...
    Lastly, I just need to say that, all of this, everything... The bullying, the sexuality distress, the self esteem, the depression, and the loss of my one true source of happiness in this world... It added up, up to where I was sitting in my college dorm room with pills in my hand, and I tried to overdose. Twice. I was afraid to do it because I can't think of ending my own life, especially with what the bible says about it, but I still think about it every day. I would want nothing more than to sit over in my bed right now, down all of my meds, and be done with it. I have probably been crying for half of this message now on reflection. I need some help, and I am out of places to turn. Ive called Suicide.org and thetrevorproject for help, but I really can't get any solid answers or advice on what to do. Im lost in life, and my only way out is suicide. Someone... help me...

2. thrnvlpidj

Isn't there some place on campus you can get counselling?

All I can give you is a (*hug*).

Hang in there. Someone more helpful will reply soon.

3. emkorora

emkorora Guest

Hello Mr. Ohio!

There are a lot of things I'd like to say, but I'll try to keep this brief and concise.

1) You are a invaluable, irreplaceable individual. Someone who-- although others might not see it-- had given the entirety of their heart to another. You may not know it, but I can tell you're a very thoughtful, caring, and affectionate individual.

2) That being said, never lose your childish hope and optimism. It's hard to regain and easy to forget. The heart does mend with time. Love, hatred, and time all possess incredible powers of healing.

3) With that in mind, for now, I would simply suggest that you turn your attention to something else. Focus on school, on your career, a job, an internship, friendships, hobby, pursuit-- anything. Lingering on what happened doesn't appear to be advancing your cause, only reducing your happiness. First-time loves are often heartbreaking, and you will recover from this.

4) I have no suggestions for your parents. Thankfully, you're reaching that time (or soon will) when you can move up, move on, move out. Onwards to college, to independence, to adulthood, to self-sufficiency. It's an incredible journey and, I suppose, we're all taking that journey throughout our lives. I'm sorry your mother responded so cruelly, but finding "ways out" might do you some good.

4. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know that my university has a Psych center and a separate counseling center, and they have been amazingly helpful for me. I go and talk with them about what I have been going through and they have been giving me some helpful advice. It might be worth looking into to see if your campus has a center. They are normal cheap if not free for students. You can also go to your RAs for help, they might be able to put you contact with someone who can help.

I'll be praying for you.

5. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey. I know it seems hard at this moment, but it DOES get better (not to seem cliche on purpose). It really does though. I haven't gone through this but I have a friend who tried (and suceeded) cutting himself with an X-acto knife and tried to kill himself numerous times. I wept every night for him because I couldn't bear the sight of the image in my mind of him being dead. As we speak, he is currently happy and resuming his life. So it does get better trust me :slight_smile: If your campus has a psych center, seek it out. I know my school does 8 free sessions, so your school might do something similar. Talk to your RAs, talk to your friends, talk to someone just because you need to put your thoughts out there. As always, I am here if you just want someone to talk to.

You'll be in my prayers.

6. arkangel

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I know my campus has a health center, but I have just not had the willpower to go. I was a straight a student in high school, but Ive literally lost all hope. I have sat in my dorm for hours alone in the dark, I don't go to class a lot, and my grades have slipped to B's and C's. I know that I have been trying to change my focus, but I have been unable to. I don't k own why I got so attached to him even though I didn't know him that well. I have lost all my hope and joy for the world. I was a churchgoer, a green peace person, a volunteer. I have literally stopped doing all of that and I do nothing all day. I lay there without the spark of energy to even move or eat. My heart is in pain, and hopefully it will Mend before my mind decides it's had enough being depressed and I do something I can't undo... Something reinforcing though, if you've seen it would be a new song I heard. Kind of makes me feel a bit better, and sad at the same time, but I want to share it. YouTube it. Ryan Filaments - Start Again. It's a fantastic song and video.
    Anyways, I will try and keep positive... Even if I have been losing even my religious faith to the pain...:bang: I just hope my coping resources last.... Not to get too personal, but I wrote a journal page a day or every couple days for a year about this person. I shouldn't have let myself get so attached to someone...:eusa_doh::eusa_doh:

7. Takine

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Does your faith help you through all this?
    I used to have faith, until I realized it was making my life worse and I dropped it like a stone.
    Believing in God is different then being religious, keep that in mind.
    I've seen people that seem very happy with the whole church thing, and I have seen others where it is destroying them.
    God isn't religion, he's not in a building asking for money and giving you a list of things not to eat, not to think and not to do.
    He doesn't have a checklist that gets you into his super special club because you were in the right church!

8. arkangel

Faith is a big part in my life. If it werent for it, I'd be dead already, so Yeah.... I was an avid churchgoer. I enjoyed it, but I just don't have the willpower to go on anymore, and I'm looking both for a shoulder to cry on, someone to hear my story, and someone to tell me that it's all gonna be OK. I could sit here for hours and type that I want time type, but No one wants to hear the personal stuff like that.

9. Takine

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Then I guess it gets you in a positive way, which is good!
    I used to go to church to learn, more out of curiosity, then I went to the Mormon one, and they said some real hateful things, so I stopped!

And yes it will be alright, you have a whole life ahead of yourself. Sure it's sad when family life cracks and crumbles and it truly feels like the world is out to get you or hates you or whatever it may be.
    But at the end of the day, its just you in bed. As important is family can be, you are the most important person-since you are you.
    You are the center of your own universe, and you have to live for your own happiness. Because you'll open your eyes one day and see, having lived for others, you wasted what little time we as humans get.

While I don't personally have the exact same issues, I have my own (mental junk like aspergers and stuff) and there are often times I don't want to get out of bed because I am terrified of the future I will have to face.
    But I have to face it, we all do, and we all must find whatever joy we can, because there is so much misery in this world.
    So many people trying to take away your joy because they have none.
    I donno if any of that rambling stuff made sense, its pretty late where I am.

10. White Knight

Sorry to hear what you are going thru Angel.

It is cruelest of tortures that heterosexual society inflict on lgbt members. God is the last sanctuary for human soul and they try to strip you of that bliss by putting words in God's mouth.

To me every religion has only one goal: building better humans. Even I say I am a Muslim I can't say I am very religious person. I believe in God because I felt his presence in the past not because someone or something told me to do so.

Faith and being who you really are provides monsterous struggle for your soul. I try to balance those two for 30 years. In the end I born as gay so I can't change that but I can choose how I believe in God. Also I believe God always have a greater plans for us which we can't be aware most of the time.

Now I am happy I born this way as it makes me more open minded indivudal who judge people by their deeds. Not by their religion, color, race or sexual identity. You can hurt people physically but it heals in time. The wounds you open with your words, your ignorance and hate lasts forever.

Just hang on, things will get better. With age you will see things differently, you understand things better. Just keep your head above water for now. Take deep breaths when things become too overwhelming and always remember you are not wrong or alone. We are all your brothers and sisters no matter where we live, what we believe or which language we speak.

Hugs. Stay safe. Always remember you are important.

Knightly

11. arkangel

Thanks Knight. I know my faith is important to me, not matter how much I lose hope in it sometimes. I just wish I knew why things were so hard. I feel real dumb, considering the fact that some people in the world are starving, dieing, etc. And I'm all suicidal over things like this?

12. deejay

Out Status:
    A few people
    I wish I could hug you right now, to show you that somebody still cares for you. However, we are just here as an online support. But I'm glad to know that somehow you are having realizations as per your last post. I was once there, I do have my own suicidal attempts and thoughts, but let me assure you it's no good. Try to find at least someone whom you can openly discuss everything under the sun without him/her being judgemental or so. I am sure you have at least that one person you can trust. Sometimes knowing that someone is physically there even just to listen helps a lot. But if you can really find none, aside from us, it would be better to go to a therapy or counselling so you can try to refocus on certain things. You may also want considering finding a new hobby or past time, or get to know more people. Remember, this too shall pass. You can do it. Keep us posted, it may not be enough but we're here for you.

13. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Arkangel,

I'm so sorry you're going through this!

I'm not religious, so I have no words for you in that regard, except that Christianity comes in many forms, and many denominations are accepting and compassionate. Have you tried going to a United Church of Christ or Unitarian Universalist congregation? Even many Episcopal and Methodist churches are inclusive and welcoming.

You sound as though you're suffering from severe depression. Therapy might help a lot, as well as medication. Some of the signs of depression are an inability to engage in your life, a lack of energy to seek help, a sense of being unworthy of compassion, the sense of an enormous hole you cannot fill, of living in a hole so deep you cannot see the light.

The fact that you're having suicidal thoughts is a flashing red light telling you that you need to seek help.

Your life has value. The world is a better place with you in it! There's an old Jewish proverb that says "He who saves a life, saves a world." It's as true of your own life as it is for another's.

Please keep talking here. We may be anonymous, but many here have, at one time or another, had experiences and emotions like yours. And they have survived, even thrived.

Thinking of you. (*hug*)

14. arkangel

Thanks for everything. Really. While I would want nothing more right now than to shrivel up and never move again, I know I have to keep going. A quote I heard and liked... "God put gays on earth to help spread a message. One of love and unjudging acceptance for all, no matter what."
    Anyway, yes I have been diagnosed with severe depression, bipolar disorder, low self esteem, and other mental illnesses, but I can usually Controll them. It's time s like when I get really really down that bad things happen. Tbh I planned to off myself in 2 weeks time before I posted here and found public acceptance, which was expected I guess. <3

15. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello arkangel. You're in Ohio, right above me! I visit the city there sometimes, it's lovely.

Wow, I'm so sorry your mother reacted that way. And your father. Maybe they will come around one day, the whole five stages of grief thing. Regardless of reaction, congrats on coming out to someone. They chose not to give you support but you still did a really brave thing. So good for you for being honest, there is nothing wrong with who you are. (*hug*) And there are sooo many of us who do support and accept you. You are a beautiful being and everything will be okay. <3

Your story is interesting, but I'm so sorry you've had to go through all of that. It sounds overwhelming. You are not dumb to feel pain from your own bad experiences. Pain is pain.
    You are not the only one who has fallen hard for someone. Love is a huge thing.
    Perhaps you need closure from all of that? You could tell him how you feel, just to get it out. Then he'll always know someone loved him, and that's a nice thing.
    Just a thought. Maybe there's a better way to get closure. It just sounds like that was a big part of your life.

I'm sorry to hear you were bullied, that is a terrible thing. Nerds rock. :thumbsup:
    I think the health center would be a good idea, I hear they help for alot of people. Talking to someone in person can be really nice and comforting.
    I'm afraid I can't be of much more help, and I don't take my own advice, but if you want you are absolutely welcome to chat on my wall. I don't mind reading text walls, if just having someone listen helps. You seem like an interesting person to me. I hope you feel better, I'm sure you could make the world a whole lot better. (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*)

P.S. This is why I'm a Playstation person. :wink: I kid, I kid.

16. arkangel

I don't think I could ever tell him honestly. I don't want to hurt what little friendship we do have. I really just wish I knew why you can care about someone so badly, and nothing ever happens with it...
    To everyone saying the world would be less without me, I wish I could believe you, I really do... I'm not Mich of anything to anyone. All I am doing is majoring in film to be a director. That's not helpful or useful to anyone.

17. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seriously? Film and television and drama and art has saved many a life! I love Tim Burton stuff, for a common example. That shit can make people smile, make their day, save their life. :slight_smile:
    In everyday life, I'm sure there are people who really really care about you. People don't always make that clear, but there's alot of love out there. Just like how your friend doesn't know how much you care about him, but you do. Someone does care that much about him.

---------- Post added 19th Mar 2014 at 10:35 PM ----------

I'm an aspiring actor myself. ^_^

18. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi. In regards to the last bit, why don't you see an LGBT friendly therapist? You could find it in the form of a private practice or on a university campus. I went with the first option and it has helped me out so much. Good luck.

19. arkangel

I know my campus has unlimited Wellness center visits for free, and a LGBT group... I guess I am just afraid to approach anyone about it....

20. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sure they are totally used to that, it's so common to feel that way, you aren't alone.
    Could you call in and ask about them or something? <3
    I guess you could say I have social anxiety, I get being scared to contact places too.
    Good luck love.