1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

so how should a guy tell his mom he's bi?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RGX Guy, Jul 19, 2008.

1. RGX Guy

RGX Guy Guest

I think I'm ready.
    She probably already knows she seems to know everything. Lol.

Idk how I should tell her like out of the blue?
    Or if we're watching tv just the 2of us be like ''he's pretty handsome/cute/whatever''

I've heard people say by letter but I don't like that idea maybe as a last resort?

Help!?!?

Maybe I could be like 'hey ma. Wanna learn something new? I'm bi.'

2. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hmm...try to find out more about whether or not your mom is suspicious. See how she reacts to seeing LGBT individuals in the media, or out in public. This could really help you decide how best to come out to her.

One thing I want to mention, be careful. Coming out as bisexual is often harder than coming out as gay, I've heard. There are a lot of people who think bisexuality is more "curable" than homosexuality, or that it's more of an intermediate phase, or just indecisiveness on the part of the person themselves. Be prepared to answer the common questions like "are you sure", but also "maybe you're just afraid to be fully gay/straight" and "you'll go back to normal eventually, and I can help".

3. RGX Guy

RGX Guy Guest

K. But there's never really anything on tv with LGBT people on it.
    Not on the stuff we watch at least...

4. cm25

cm25 Guest

well there's always those episodes of parental control that have LGBT people on it haha. But maybe think bout goin easy intoit like "hey mom there's somethin I need to tell you" and go from there. Good luck!! I hope it works out for ya :wink:

5. justjoshoh

If you think that there will not be any negative repercussions from coming out, I encourage you to do so.

There are many resources available to help you. PFLAG has information on their website. I'm sure beckyg, one of our moderators, can help with any PFLAG information. But, I recommend having something on hand to help you help your parent(s) process the information.

Secondly, I suggest a way of creating a talking point. If you don't normally have access to media that contains positive LGBT views, consider finding a source. I have recently watched and read, respectively, these selections and recommend their use.

There is a great documentary produced, "Anyone and Everyone". It is a compilation of interviews from families from all walks of life that have a LGB child. You might see if there is a copy available to rent or borrow at a video store or the public library.

Another good source is the short story "The Announcement" in "Wisdom of Our Fathers" by Tim Russert. It chronicles the story of Stephen a gay male that comes out to his father.

Remember "CLEAR" when discussing the issue:
    Connect - Bring your whole consciousness to the conversation
    Listen - Allow their thoughts to be heard completely and take time to comprehend them
    Empathy - Sincerely accept their thoughts and understand their perception
    Acknowledge - Validate their concerns
    Request - Make clear expectations as a result of the conversation

6. -Michael-

^^ Made me lol

Depending on what you think her reaction will be i think determines the best way to come out.

I predicted my dad would want time to think and would have a lot of questions, so i wrote him a letter answering all the expected questions and left for the day.

He's fine now :slight_smile:

If you think your mother is very open and frank.
    Then be open and frank.

:grin:

Good luck!

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    justjoshoh mentioned PFLAG materials. There is one exclusively on bisexuality that you can print off and give to your mom. Just go to the top of Support and Advice and look for PFLAG publications.

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you feel that it might be easier, try engaging her in a conversation first and see how she reacts and what she has to say. I would suggest to you though to find a good time to come out to your mom (i.e. when she is relaxed and is not worrying about other things or in a hurry). I don't think framing your coming out in terms to a question is a good idea. It would be better if you would just talk to her about it. A good way to start might be by saying that you have had these feelings for a long time, and that you have come to terms with it and that it is important to you that she knows.

As the other members have suggested, have some PFLAG material ready for her as well. Good Luck! Keep us posted.

9. Sam

Sam

Why don't you start a conversation that would lead to you telling her. Has she ever given you a reason to think that she wouldn't be accepting? Get some Pflag materials and sit down and say something like "mom there is something I need to tell you..."

You said she probably already suspects so maybe she is just waiting for you to say something.

Good luck!
    Sam

#9 Sam, Jul 19, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  10. Derek the Wolf

I recommend you grab her attention when she's not busy, say "Mom, I need to tell you something important." Have her sit down without distractions, and tell her. As to what you should actually say, don't worry about it. Chances are, anything you plan to say you're gonna skim over because you'll be too nervous. Just tell her the truth. As your mother, that's probably all she wants to hear, is how you feel.
    Good luck.