1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to a Catholic?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RedDev84, Mar 21, 2014.

1. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey all, I'd like to pick your brains. :help:

I have this really close friend and they are very kind, thoughtful and supportive in all situations to date. It's a shame we live so apart, because we have many similarities interested. I'll mention it's friendship only due to age difference.

One thing I've never brought up to him/her, like with everyone else, is my orientation. Nor has he/she ever asked. The thing is though, I really feel like I could come out to this person because of their friendly nature as described very briefly above.

I haven't though because they are Catholic (they live in a European country)... and we all know what that means. That said, I know almost nothing about any religion. So that's why I'd like some advice.

So my question to you all is, how do Catholics really feel about homosexuality in the modern day? Are catholics anymore/less opposed to homosexuality than Christians?

And ultimately - do you think I can safely tell them?

I've also considered two other people I might be able to tell.. See what you think if you will :icon_bigg (*hug*)

- My best friend. I'm not really sure if this person considers me their best friend, but I consider them my best. Seems to trust me and quite often texts and sometimes meet up to see a movie or such

Issue: Don't know views on LGBT, tried really hard to subtly find them out to no avail. Additionally, I'd love to think it would be safe, but I couldn't be 100% certain he wouldn't tell any of his close friends despite requests.

- Online friend. This person is really funny and is very talkative. He is really obsessed with talking about girls & especially how much he loves his GF (appearance & personality) despite this, he's not a very big-headed person. Speak to him around every 3 days on skype and play a lot of online games with him.

Issue: Not 100% sure about his views on LGBT, but appeared generally ok when it got vaguely mentioned once. I really can't be sure. Also, naturally with online people, you don't actually fully know who is the other side & whether they will keep it private if requested.

Thank you all in advance..

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "I haven't though because they are Catholic (they live in a European country)... and we all know what that means. "

No, we don't.

I know gay catholics, I know catholics who support LGBT people. I know the pope is trying to change the churches stance on gay marriage.

Can you safely tell them? Sure. There is a chance they won't take it well, which is ultimately their problem, you're just down one shitty friend.

Basically, this part of you isn't going away, your friends will either accept it or they won't. If they do, great, no problem, if they don't at least you don't have to waste your time and energy trying to be friends with someone who can't accept who you are.

3. newfish

I also think them living far away could help. If they don't mind, you're still good friends. If they do, you don't have to see them again and they're probably too far away to have any impact on your life.

Also, as mentioned, LGBT views vary widely with Catholics. I can only think of 4 Catholic people I know. They're all teenagers and at least 3 of them are raised Catholic and not particularly religious. Anyway, all of them are accepting of gay people, friends with gay people, one of them is gay, and at least one is considering practicing Catholicism more now that the pope seems to be changing the church's attitude.

4. White Knight

Which European country we are talking about? I had/have friends nearly all around Europe and so far non was homophobic. I don't know their religious belief mostly tho' as I am not interested in how they reach the God. Faith is between person and God.

5. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll answer these questions because I feel comfortable answering these. In other words, I got lectured my mother when she pulled out the Catechism and read a passage about how the church views homosexuals. Keep in mind that she read from a Catechism that was published right around John Paul II's time.

In the Catechism, it states that homosexuals are to be loved just as ordinary people but are to remain celibate; however, like I said that was from Pope JP II's time and Pope Francis is slowly trying to change the view. Catholics about have the same view as Christians toward homosexuals but Catholics are more opposed to homosexual acts than the homosexual.

I tell you to tell only if you feel comfortable with doing so. If you want to read up on the Catholic view on homosexuals, you can probably find a Catechism to find this view. I would read the most recent Catechism published.

#5 Randy, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  6. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for replying White Kinght. They're originally from Italy and lived there most of their life. Not living there now though.
    Randy, thanks a lot for such a thoughtful post. Ultimately as mentioned I know nothing about religion, so a little insight you've provided is a good start.

The issue I see is she may well accept I'm homosexual but there will be a time (I hope..) where I have a relationship, it's a bit inevitable really.

It's good to hear to new pope is trying to change things for the better though, and hopefully my friend will reflect on that too.

With my thoughts, and the great advice received on this thread, I will probably come out to them.

Before I do though, because there's no rush of course, I would like to prepare myself for the rainy day part if they don't react well. At the moment I'm not quite sure what I'd say. I can't exactly challenge the religion because I don't know enough about it. Nor do I have time/effort to read extensively into it, although I will research a little.

It's probably more down the line of "Well if you can't accept it, I'm really sorry and devastated to hear that, but I can't change it" which would be a sad ending but basically comes to the point of what ElliaOtaku said earlier.

Thanks for advice so far guys. I'd love to hear if anyone else has more or had similar experiences...

7. AuroraBorealis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You asked if Catholics are anymore or less opposed to homosexuality than Christians..well..Catholics ARE Christians.

I am Catholic, very devout, and raised in a very devout Catholic family. Of course, my family believes that homosexuality is a sin, but they have never shunned anyone, my family respects everyone they come across, everyone in my family has gay friends, now when I came out, I was a little nervous, obviously like most people are. What really let me know that NO ONE in my family has a problem with it was when my 85 year old grandmother, who has always gone to Mass, I go to Mass with her every Sunday said "Well, if that's what you want, then that's what you want."

A friend of mine at church is also gay, he told his family, same reaction, they didn't care.

Most Catholics, are not going to care, they may think it's a sin, but they will be your friend and they will respect you. There are very few that won't and would be hateful about it.

8. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Really it has to do with cultural values than being Catholic per se. Catholics from liberal areas are often very tolerant of gays. I was also raised in a devout Catholic family and still continue going regularly to church (I'm more of an agnostic), but my biggest fear is that they are also immigrants from India, where homosexuality is basically a taboo.

The Catholic Church has basically been consistent in saying all sexual activity (including masturbation) outside of marriage is sinful (regardless of what actual Catholics practice -the vast majority of women use contraception), which is why it has been so outspoken against gay marriage since that basically legitimizes homosexual acts.

9. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @RedDev84 - I'm not Catholic, but...

I have friends who are Catholic and very, very tolerant. Yes, they love their Church BUT they don't agree with everything it says. It's pretty much the same for me with the Church of England... I love my Church, attend regularly, but disagree with it on a number of issues, particularly same sex marriage. Sometimes you have to change things from within though.

Spain and Portugal are devout Catholic countries, but they legalised same sex marriage with huge public consent a few years ago. The Republic of Ireland is heading in the same direction it seems. I think Italy may take a while longer.

Pope Francis has already said that he wants to see less judgement from the Catholic Church and more pastoral care of people and a few Popes before him (Pope John Paul the First) did a lot of work to support gay people. Before he became Pope, John Paul 1 made a speech to Cardinals in which he said:

“The day is not far off when we will have to answer to these people who through the years have been humiliated, whose rights have been ignored, whose human dignity has been offended, their identity denied and their liberty oppressed. What is more we will have to answer to the God who created them”

It didn't receive a great reception, but the same Cardinals made him Pope a short time later.

I think those words summarise the feelings of a great many Catholics (and non-Catholics too, I might add).

10. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The general consensus seems to be to "chance it" with a pretty reasonable chance of it going down well.

Thanks for the support so far.

When I go through the cycle & process for many things related to this in my mind - it all comes back to I don't have many friends at all, and I'd obviously be in a worse position again if I lost any of the few I have.

I think when the opportunity comes up, I'll go for it. I'm not quite sure how but I think it might be along the lines of:

First explain that as he/she is aware, I've been having some issues lately, and explain those through. For your knowledge, those issues are basically I really feel ready for a relationship, but I just can't find someone.

I'll probably get reassured that some girl out there will see my personality or whatever.

At this point it will be "Well, perhaps I'm not looking for a girl......"

Boom.

Will see how it pans out, but will be along those lines I expect.

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That is the view. Easier said than done, though. Most urban educated Catholics generally wouldn't care, in either North America or Europe, unless they're in a suburb or out in the country and making a lot of babies and home schooling them to make sure the kids aren't exposed to today's "evils." In the latter reference, I'm referring to North America.

---------- Post added 22nd Mar 2014 at 06:06 PM ----------

Word. I always find this to be nonsense so people can make a mountain out of a mole hill.

---------- Post added 22nd Mar 2014 at 06:07 PM ----------

Yes and yes.

12. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I still didn't manage this :-( I tried really hard to set it up, but I just couldn't get a comfortable part of our recent conversations where I was happy to reveal all... It's just so hard, and meanwhile I'm constantly worry about the catholic thing... I'm starting to wonder if this will not be the first one....

13. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't worry too much about it. It's not unusual to set a date/time and then find yourself unable to do it. Coming out to people is not an exact science. Don't give up.

14. confusedandi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You cannot stereotype a person strictly by their religion...Their actions are far more relevant in this scenario. I am Catholic and my parents are somewhere in between Christian and Catholic. They are completely opposed to homosexuality. However I have many Catholic, Mormon, Jewish, and Christian friends who have no problem whatsoever with my orientation. That being said I also have some religious and atheist friends who are very opposed to homosexuality. So ultimately it comes down to the individual, not their religion.

15. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I realise not every person on the planet who is religious are homophobic.... But it's quite well known that a significant amount of religious people are.. hence my concern..

If I suspected they'd take it well, I'd have probably come out last week or so.

16. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know about Catholics in Europe but my former partner's parents are Catholic (ohio USA) The Catholic church is similar to many other mainstream religions in that they consider homosexuality a sin. And just like many other religions, the members of that religion don't march lockstep with everything the church puts out. We were so scared to come out to them, but it went really well, much better than my parents. My parents and my aunt and uncle are both the same religion but my mother had a meltdown and her sister was understanding. Not exactly approving, but not condemning either.

17. lordsnow

Don't worry to much about your friends being Catholic. As others have said in this thread it's a stereotype that all Catholic's are homophobes, my grandma grew up Catholic and bears no ill will towards gays. She is actually very vocal in support for the gay rights movement, But at the same time a life long Catholic. But in the end only you can make the choice if you want to tell them or not. I hope everything goes well whatever you decide:slight_smile:

18. 123d

Hey there :slight_smile:
    I myself am Catholic and a lesbian. Don't believe the stereotype that all Catholics are bigots, because stereotypes are often untrue. That being said, I would bring up the topic beforehand and maybe get an overview of the persons beliefs. If they are as nice a person as you say they are, then I'm sure that they won't be homophobic. But do be careful, as many Catholics are opposed to homosexuality, so ask their opinion on gay marriage etc before you do anything drastic.
    Hope I was helpful x

19. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hellow :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot, you were very helpful! (*hug*)

That pretty much confirms how I felt too. I couldn't be sure, but really wanted to find out their opinion first. Trouble is I seem to be having a hard time finding out subtly! This person is really curious and there is NO circumstance where I can ask a question, receive and answer then not getting asked "why?" It's funny at times how curious this person is, yet so annoying for this occasion haha.

I feel just blurting out "what do you think of gay marriage?" from nowhere might be essentially the same as coming out...

Thanks again though for the advice all!

20. 123d

Mmmm I see your problem....
    Maybe bring up the fact that gay marriage has just been legalised in England? Or if you watch any tv shows with lgbt people in them, maybe bring it up by casually mentioning that they're gay or bisexual etc? Like Neil Patrick Harris from How I Met Your Mother or Zachary Quinto from Star Trek or even Ellen Degeneres. :wink: And then gauge their reaction.
    If they ask why, just say that you were just curious or you had a discussion about it with someone earlier.
    Helpful?