1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to Best Friends/Housemates

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ellis, Mar 21, 2014.

1. ellis

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi,

I'm a senior in college and recently came to terms with being gay. I've come out to a few people including a good childhood friend, my mom, and a "coming out" mentor from a program at my school. I really want to come out to one or two of my best friends (we live in a house of six girls from my sorority), but I'm scared and don't know how to bring up the subject to come out to them (individually). I asked my mentor and she had some really good advice but am just wondering if anyone else has something to contribute, I really need to build my confidence for this. Especially the part about being scared, I met both of these girls at the beginning of college and I'm afraid this will change everything about our friendships and how they think of me. Greek life can be kind of a hetero-normative culture. Plus, I don't really know if they'll be expecting it..

Any words or experiences would be appreciated :slight_smile:

2. Silver Sparrow

If you can/are comfortable with dropping hints, that could be helpful. Maybe look to see if there are any gay alums (from your sorority might be even more helpful), they might be able to give you good advice about the Greek life side of coming out. Definitely get in touch with your school's GSA, or another organization similar.
    Good luck, and keep us all updated!

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What advice were you given by your mentor? If you let us know, we might be able to offer some additions.

4. ellis

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey guys thanks for the feedback. I ended up telling both of my friends that night, maybe not my ideal circumstances (we had all gone out to a bar/one friend found out by accident so I kind of had to tell her) but everything has been great and my one best friend has been especially great and supportive.

My mentor's advice though that I took: prefacing telling my friends with some of my worries (being scared to tell them, being afraid that things will change), she also recommended telling each friend individually at a place where my other roommates wouldn't be (go out to lunch and tell them ahead of time I want to talk to them about something- didn't do that yet, but might later).

But I did meet with my (GSA) mentor again this week and I feel like I'm processing everything a lot better and ready to come out to more friends and family this week.