1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out On April 1st

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Geek, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So I've been thinking about coming out to my parents for a while. They make homophobic comments a few times and I know they'd look into it and stop if they knew I was gay. The problem is figuring out what there reaction is. I was thinking about coming out on April 1st and if they say something rude I can always say "April Fools" and if not, then i'll be out.

What do you think about coming out on April Fools Day? Good idea or bad idea? Also very few people offline know that i'm gay and i've never actually come out in person. Anyone have any tips? Nobody in my family knows. My sister is super liberal just like I am so maybe practice with her? Idk. Then on top of that, who do I come out to first?

Also if anyone has additional tips let me know

2. Audeamus

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think coming out on April Fools Day is a genius idea! A way to test the water just in case. Genius.

Love the West Wing clip btw.

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not so sure. If I were to go through the process of coming out, I'm not sure I could/would want to take it back as an April Fools joke, whatever the reaction. How would you address the issue again if you take it back?

I'm not being critical and I really do hope you manage to come out to your parents without a negative reaction, but I'm not sure I go along with the idea of an April Fools joke. It would feel like a retreat into the closet and could do you more harm than good.

If your Sister is open minded and liberal, she would be a good person to tell first.

#3 PatrickUK, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  4. Clay

Think it's a bad idea. It'll just make it harder to come out in the future if you backtrack then.

5. rainmustfall

rainmustfall Guest

Yeah honestly it leaves you in a bad position. If you are still living with or financially dependent on your parents and you don't think they will be supportive I would wait until you have your own place and a way to support yourself, because you never know just how badly some people who are homophobic will react. They might surprise you, but make things as safe as possible for you should you decide to be open about things.

#5 rainmustfall, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2014
  6. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I gotta agree. And, lots of parents either A. already know their kid is gay, or B. are in complete denial that when they do find out, they will be in shock/disbelief at first. In the first scenerio, from what you suggested, it wouldn't make a difference. In the second scenerio, it'd most likely end up with you retreating back to the closet, and when you tried coming out again later, it'd be much more dificult. I'd suggest either picking a different day, or waiting to come out if you aren't ready.

7. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's just hard because my parents and I aren't really that close and we really haven't ever been. I wouldn't say we're distant but we've never really had a close relationship as most people have with their parents. We've never really had any kind of serious talk about anything at all. Heck I didn't know what gay meant until 6th grade and before I thought it meant stupid....

At the same time they can be very defensive about anything that they don't agree with. They'll yell if I try prove them otherwise and always have to be right about everything.

However, I can't ever ever ever ever ever see them disowning me. As homophobic as she can be at times she's never use the term fag or anything like that. She just believes in "traditional marriage" and they thinks it should stay that way. She doesn't ever complain about gay relationships at all though. She does gay by gay stereotypes to "determine' if someone is gay. Anyways I can't see her "disowning" me as my brother has basically been ignoring my mom for the past few months and it makes her extremely sad. All i'd have to say in a worse case scenario (not that I think this would ever happen) is that "how'd you like it when *brother* ignored you and pushed himself out of you're life? Do you really want to do that to me"? She loves me and I just don't know anymore if I should or shouldn't come out. I just feel like she'd get more educated and know more about me if she knew. She loves kids (she's a teachere) and she thinks that i'm the most rational kid she has with the most potential.

Knowing this, whatcha think now?

8. SwiftKnight

How about, saying "hey guess what I'm straight." Then pause. Wait for any reaction.
    then depending on the reaction, continue with a "Lol jk"
    Be brave!!! YOLO:slight_smile:

(Or u can test the waters by talking about lgbt stuff like gay marriage)