1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to come out to my sister

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Alexandra18, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Alexandra18

hi,

so i'm really worried about how to come out to my sister.
    I already told my dad, he was positive about it, he said he just wants me to be happy, so that's cool.
    But, i'm afraid my sister will not react the same way. We always had a pretty good relationship but everytime i decided something (like getting a piercing or dying my hair) she would say:"Are you sure? This makes a big impact on your life. Did you think about the consequenses?" I feel like she doesn't understand that i'm 21 and i can think about my own actions, and that i know it can have consequenses. Also, she always thinks i'm very impulsive when i decide these things.
    Now ofcourse, being gay is absolutly not a decision, but i'm afraid that when i come out to her, she'll just say that it's a phase, or that i just want attention or stuff like that.
    So i don't know how i should deal with this, should i just tell her face to face? Or maby a letter is a better option?

Thanks in advance.

2. lovely lesbian

Is your sister older then you? She is your sister she should support you whatever in my option anyway

3. katwat

I laughed when I read your post, not laughing at your stress and confusion, but at the fact that everything I did when I was a kid that my mom thought might not turn out well was met with the same response. I never took it as a negative. She never told me NO YOU CAN'T or made me feel like I was wrong. She just gave me the opportunity to check and make sure I had taken the time to think things through. I always saw it as a great thing. She let me be independent, let me learn that actions do have consequences, and let me try new things. Sometimes to succeed and sometimes to fail. Maybe your sister has been doing the same.

I wish you luck and love, acceptance and support.

4. Alexandra18

yes my sister is 2 years older then me.

I understand that she means it in a good way, but i don't understand why she still does this, it's like she thinks i don't know how to think for myself, as if i'm still 12 years old.
    And it's more the fact that i almost know for sure that she's going to react like it's just a phase or that i just want attention or whatever. I don't think she'll be happy when i tell her.