1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally Came Out To My Mom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by willycubed28, Mar 22, 2014.

1. willycubed28

So I made a choice to tell my mom I am gay after I physically moved to Florida. I did it in a way that would be best for me. I didn't want to see or hear her reaction because I knew that it would not be good. So, I chose to do it over email. She basically said that she wants to keep her life separate from my sin. Even though that saddens me I now have this weight lifted off of me and it feels so wonderful. Now I can be open on not be afraid.

I do have a question though. Did I do the cowards way of emailing her instead of telling her over the phone or to her face?

2. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Congrats on coming out! It sucks that your mom isn't supportive, but at least now you can feel free to be yourself and pursue what makes you happy. In the end I think it will all work out for the best. :slight_smile:

There's no reason to be ashamed of coming out through writing. Given the amount of difficulty I have making any progress in this area I don't think I could ever think someone is a coward for doing something that I'm simply not capable of.

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, you did not do it the cowards way - you did it YOUR WAY and that's the most important thing of all. Good for you and very well done.

I'm sorry your Mom didn't react well, but I hope you've at least gained some confidence from being able to tell her. Once your parent/s know, you've really crossed the most difficult hurdle. Parents are usually the hardest people to come out to.

4. katwat

There is your answer. Knowing a person is going to be unsupportive or even unkind really shapes if and how we tell them things. I know for a fact that if my father-in-law ever hears about my daughter being bisexual he will be an absolutely vile idiot about it. Since he is a thousand miles away and my daughter does not remember the only visit he ever made to see her then it really is one of those issues that we are not bothering to worry over.

Telling your mother, who you knew would be unsupportive, in any way at all was very brave. Do not discredit yourself on this. You did a very brave thing.

Congratulations on coming out to her. Boo on her for not being a kind, loving, accepting and supportive parent.