1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out for the first time

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by jimdono, Mar 23, 2014.

1. jimdono

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi,

This semester I recently admitted to my self that I was gay. I feel like I can't keep it inside of me and need to tell someone. I have a group of friends that I trust but I do not know how to bring it up in a conversation. I am very nervous about this.

2. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

When I told my best friend I was lesbian I started with "I have to say you somthing". I know that's lame but in this moment it wasn't important to me how I said it. I just wanted to say it. There are so many possibilities to bring it up. But first of all do you want to tell one after another or all at thesame time??:slight_smile:

3. jimdono

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    To be honest I am not sure. I am probably going to have to tell them at the same time because we normally just hang out as a group.

4. AmiBee

I'm not sure how you should come out. That is a personal preference. It will feel wonderful and freeing when u do. Good luck.

5. a1rborne

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you normally hang out together, then this is where I would say it. I had a similar situation: I first came out to my mom and brother. Then I came out to a group of ten! friends all at the same time. We are all very close and spend quite a lot of time together, so I knew that it would be impossible to tell it to one after the other. And it turned out very well! Not a single negative reaction. And: The majority reacting in an understanding way creates a bit of group pressure on the other ones! :icon_wink

6. LiquidSwords

Yeah this, apart from the lesbian part :icon_bigg Seriously even now I can't imagine telling more than one person at a time, let alone when I was telling the first few people. I went for the "Can I tell you something?" tactic too, because it means you commit yourself to saying it before you actually do, like you force yourself to say it basically, ha.

It's a very contrived way of doing it, and it makes it seem like a big deal to tell people this way, but it was a big deal for me and I didn't mind my friends knowing that (the crying helped with that too :lol:slight_smile:

If you'd rather casually drop it into conversation then go for it, each to their own. I guess you could just contradict someone when they say something which assumes you to be straight, like when they ask you about girls or something.

Well anyway, whatever you do, good luck!

7. jimdono

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you for the advice. I am very nervous about this and have low self confidence as it is. Part of me wants to come out right now but I'm very nervous about it. I'm not sure what to do.

8. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How about going to a PFLAG meeting or your LGBT group at school first? They might be able to help you with this.

9. SkylarRain

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I understand! In fact I am having the exact same problem! I have been working up the courage for a little while now(it took me quite a while to come out to myself) but I am planning on doing it tomorrow and I plan to say it like this:"So I have something to tell you and it may sound a little weird but...I am pan-sexual." It could be as casual as that but remember that it is your moment to share who you are with the people in your life! Although I again understand that it is quite nerve racking!

10. thrnvlpidj

Spend some time with gay people; go on a date. Then when your friends ask what you've been doing you can tell them.