1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay question

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by berileos, Jul 20, 2008.

1. berileos

berileos Guest

I have a question...
    Does every gay has to be feminine?

2. Helen

Helen Guest

Certainly not!

The only thing gays really truly have in common is that they like men. That's all, you can still be whatever kind of person you want, and still be gay. Some of course choose to be more feminine, but not necessarily.

3. tylerksub

tylerksub Guest

I wonder why tv and movies rarely show the masculine side. I want to see more Bears on television!

#3 tylerksub, Jul 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2008
  4. berileos

berileos Guest

I never heard of someone being gay but not least feminine.From the look of medicine:a gay person has more progesterone,female hormone.That is mostly the reason they have squeaky voices,they're not much hairy and they like men.I don't have any of these,it's jus unexplainable.

5. ScentedRegrets

Definitely not! I think a lot of gay men are masculine, and many of them are genuinely so. On the other hand, I think some of them are masculine acting, which I never cared for. Me, I am as gay as they come, and I am far more masculine than feminine. However, I am told by my best friends that I am far more flamboyant than I've observed.

6. tylerksub

tylerksub Guest

Bears are hot and sexy lumberjack looking studs. I prefer Santa style :lol:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_community

7. berileos

berileos Guest

What does exactly "flamboyant" means(I'm from Serbia:redface:slight_smile:
    No one ever suspected I'm gay,even though I think it's noticeable.

8. flam·boy·ant –adjective
    1. strikingly bold or brilliant; showy
    2. conspicuously dashing and colorful
    3. florid; ornate; elaborately styled

9. MOS KONIG

MOS KONIG Guest

Certainly not!At the times of the ancient greece most of the gay lovers gave each other weapons and armor.If that is not a symbol for masculanity than what?

10. Master Hade

Master Hade Guest

hehehehehe true that

But no being gay does not make you fem..... I myself like masculine guys, Im not very fem but you can till im gay

11. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. Many homosexual men do not act in "stereotypically gay" ways.

>>>I wonder why tv and movies rarely show the masculine side. I want to see more Bears on television.

Because it's TV. Because it's the movies. In movies, you have about 100 minutes to get your story told. On TV, it may be as short as 19. Because of this, people tend to be reduced down to their absolute barest essentials for the plot. If they make one character a "bear", or a "straight-acting" gay, they'll have to spend time introducing the character, and making you aware that although this guy acts straight, he is in fact gay. That can take a couple of minutes. But with a flamboyant gay guy, the second he walks on the screen, people know. That's two more minutes the screenwriters can spend on more important things, like the hilariously funny romantic comedy's plot. :slight_smile:

You see this a lot in movies and TV, if you're paying attention. Let's say the script calls for a "punk" type to appear on the scene. Chances are good he'll have a huge pink mohawk and a studded leather jacket. How many punks actually have pink mohawks? It doesn't matter - it's "shorthand". We've come to learn in movies and TV that pink mohawk = punk. They don't have to explain that the guy on the screen has a huge attitude, and disrespects authority. The pink mohawk does that for them. Similarly, having an effeminate guy on the screen means they don't have to explain that the guy up there is a homosexual - his behavior does that for them.

Enforcing stereotypes? Yeah, probably. But the other option is to bring the story to complete standstill as they fill you in on everybody who shows up on the screen.

Lex

12. darkestknight

Yeah I agree, being gay doesn't mean that he's less of a man. :grin:

A man likes his own gender is considered gay. The rest of them is just like ... preferences! :grin:

13. Jim1454

How old is that book of medicine?!?

I thought high levels of testosterone leads to premature balding... and unfortunately that has been me! And I'm gay. Thinning hair, masculine voice, heavy set...

So the answer to your question is no.

It could be that where you're from, being gay isn't as accepted by society, so guys that can hide it (because they don't "look" gay) aren't out and you're not noticing them. But they're out there for sure.

14. ausdtc

Well, I fail at meeting the physical stereotype :slight_smile: I've got a rather deep voice, and I have a similar amount of body hair to my straight brother/father (read: quite a bit!).

Really, the only thing that makes someone gay is that they are attracted to people of the same sex - that's it, nothing more, nothing less. There's plenty of effeminate straight men around that fit the gay stereotype far far far more than I do :icon_wink

15. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No, not at all. The only thing a gay person has to do is be attracted to their own gender. Anything else is dependent on the individual. A person might have a high voice and a love for shopping but still be straight, and another might be deep-voiced and muscular but still be gay.

For example, look to my left. Orientation, clear as day. However, I hate hot pink. I don't like rainbows, they're blinding. I have no interest in shopping, performing, dancing, fashion, hair styling, makeup, or my nails. I don't wear tight clothing. I've never worn tight pants and I don't want to. I don't dye my hair, I hate the feel of leather clothing, I could never cross-dress, and I don't like pop music at all. I have a very deep voice for my age and I don't go to social gatherings half as much as my straight friends do. But despite all that, I'm attracted to men. Which makes me gay. Does that make sense?

16. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, add me to the list.

Over six feet tall.
    Broad shouldered.
    Hairy as a gorilla.
    Dress like a slob.
    Deep voice.
    Love sports.
    Not fond of shopping.
    But completely and totally gay.

A friend of mine found a little fun "test" online. "How gay are you?" The higher your score, the more gay you supposedly were. A bunch of us took it.

My partner scored a 43 out of 100.
    My brother, who is straight, scored a 16.
    I scored a 2.

That's right. 2. :slight_smile: But you know what? I like guys. That makes me gay. End of discussion.

That said, I do need to make it clear that being "straight-acting" IN NO WAY makes me "better" than gay guys who aren't. It's just a different personality.

Lex

17. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, not at all.

I'm not very feminine, although I'm getting a little more stereotypically gay...

18. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course not every gay person is flamboyantly gay acting. That's more of a stereotype even though there are some gay people that fit that, myself included. Many other gays aren't like that at all but that doesn't make them any less gay than someone that fits the stereotype.

19. interstella

It's kinda weird that since I "came out" to myself, I've become a lot more "gay"

But to answer your question, gays can be butch or femme. It just depends on which gender they like.

20. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Certainly not. The idea that gay people are all feminine is nothing more than a ridiculous stereotype that too much of our society has bought into. I myself don't fit the stereotype what so ever.

I love rock and metal (types of music). I am personally a skater. All my friends are straight guys. Physically I have a fairly deep voice and I am hairier than my straight brother. And I am totally gay and out. Well in all honesty I do fit the stereotype in one way that being that I do like musicals it is my one of my guilty pleasures. :icon_wink