1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with coming out to my religious dad!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mehmeister, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Mehmeister

My dads religious plus my granddad was a priest... and i'm an agnostic bisexual... yay... anyway i need some help because i'm seeing him in June and i'm already freaking out about it. Plus it's tearing me apart about him (and the rest of my family) not knowing about who i really am. :frowning2:

2. Dexter Colton

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Dear friend

I believe we have met before. Religion is a tough subject. It can go any way. If you think your father wouldn't accept you then don't tell him. Same with your granddad. If I may ask what your mother. If she would accept you tell her because she will be able to protect you. Ask any questions and boy you bet I'll answer.

Good to see you again
    -Dex

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like you want to come out to your Dad, but you're worried about the reaction, right?

Religion is a tricky issue and it can go a number of ways when you tell religious (Christian) parents. Some will be very supportive, seeing it as their Christian duty to show tolerance and not pass judgement, others may express disappointment, while others will go down the hellfire and brimstone route and worry about the damnation of your soul.

You said your granddad was a Priest - in what Church? I'm guessing your Dad is a member of the same Church and knowing the denomination may give a reasonable pointer to the likely reaction. Please let us know.

I could arm you with various counter-arguments to 'what the Bible says' but that would be a bit premature and you may be pleasantly surprised by your Dad's reaction. I think it would be useful to know the Church that your Dad is a member of though.

4. IG88

So if you're seeing your granddad(?) in June, it sounds like you have to travel there, right? I'd be worried that if your family is staying with him, that if his reaction is bad, then he won't let you sleep under his roof. I'm trying to think of worst case scenarios. If this were going to happen, then you shouldn't go...unless no one tells him.

Also, just some initial things on the Bible...
    1. Jesus said nothing on homosexuality
    2. He did say to love God and to love your neighbor, the two greatest commandments that sum up every other commandment

Good luck (*hug*)

5. Kenaria

If they don't take it too well, ask them when they chose to be straight.
    It's impossible to answer other than "I didn't." unless they're messed up in the head and seriously think 100% that they chose to be straight..

On the act of ACTUALLY coming out, I'd say just listen to what your heart tells you because in the end it's what will get you the furthest. Some internet people can't tell you jack what EXACTLY to do because they/we don't know any of your life, background, or environment. So do what you think is best, and don't let them get you down if they don't take it well.

6. Mehmeister

Thanks guys sooooo much!
    i know that i won't need to worry about telling my granddad since he has passed away in 2007 sorry for not mentioning anything :frowning2:. anyway my fathers Serbian Orthodox as was my granddad, and i am supposed to be buuuuut since i'm bisexual i think that means in the church i'm going to burn in hell. yay. i know that it probably would be the wiser to not tell my dad cause he can be forceful religious but it's just tearing me apart not telling him. my mum and step-dad would except me a bit better cause I've grown up with my mum and my step-dad can't do anything about it without copiing it. And a thank you to Dex! ill try help you to even though i'm new!

Thanks so much!(*hug*)