1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The rest of the family?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Csp1993, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Csp1993

Csp1993 Guest

Obviously your parents and/or siblings (if you have them) should be among the first people you should come out to, but what about aunts, uncles, grandmas, grandpas, cousins, great aunts, etc.? Should those people know? My family has always been abnormally close. I feel like if I come out to family at all, I'll have to come out to the rest of them. I think my grandparents would accept it, but my grandmother would call me gay behind my back most likely (but I don't really care. She always been a back stabber, but I love her a lot and we're very close). My really close aunt and oldest cousin would accept it. I would probably come out to my second oldest cousin first though, she and I are extremely close (in age and everything). The only thing is that my mom's father's parents are extremely old school and have a religious upbringing. My aunt lives in a bad area, so she sent my cousins to a private church school. My second oldest cousin is very religious, but I feel as if she'd be the most supporting and if I asked her to keep quiet I know she would.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I had told all my friends LONG before I ever considered telling my parents. I have only told my parents, and everyone else will find out when I come home with someone...I don't see the point in telling people I never see.

3. IsThisAName

It sounds like in general your family would be pretty supportive. I'm struggling with the same thing. I'm confident that I'm bisexual now (actually, I'm actually kinda starting to wonder if I'm gay, but that's another story), and I feel ready to tell any of my friends who ask, but I'm nervous about my aunts and uncles, grandparents, etc. I don't know, I guess I'd say if you think they'll be accepting then go for it. Just be sure that you can trust whoever you tell in your family, and be prepared for the possibility of them telling someone else in the family if you think they'll open their mouth. It sounds like you're pretty lucky to have such a close family, my extended family isn't very close at all and sometimes I wonder about what they'll say when me and my sister come out to them, but I guess since they're not very close to us, it really doesn't matter at all.

4. Csp1993

Csp1993 Guest

I don't mind if other family members tell other family members. I think for the most part, yes, everyone will be supportive. That's one trait that has lasted generations: having an open mind. It's just that there are no other gay or bi family members of mine so if I came out a lot of them would think "What happened down that road?" The only thing is that I don't want to wait until I'm with a girl to come out. I want them to be prepared for that day. I don't think it would be fair to walk in one Thanksgiving and say "surprise!", I couldn't do that to them. We actually see each other pretty much every holiday so if was with a girl, it'd be hard to hide.

5. katwat

Maybe if your parents are supporting you could tell them first and ask for help in telling other family members? Tell the people who's support you are most sure of and then work out from there?

6. Csp1993

Csp1993 Guest

Yeah, I'd definitely tell my parents first. I just feel like the rest of my family should hear it from me and if they have any negativity (which I doubt) I rather it be to my face.