1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I just accidentally outed myself

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by KariGordon1996, Mar 24, 2014.

1. KariGordon1996

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well apparently while I was in my room my dad was yelling for me. I had earbuds in and I couldn't hear. So he unlocked my bedroom door with a credit card and sees me sitting in bed texting with a pair of boxers on, and a shirt, with my hair tucked up in a beanie. I really want to cut my hair short so that's why. He took my phone, this site was opened in my browser. He gave it back after going through it and was really pissed off. I'm completely mortified, I know he'll tell my mom who already thinks I'm a lesbian. I mean, how do I explain wearing boxers with my hair up in a beanie? I guess you really can't. Idk, I really don't know what to do at this point. I'm not ready to come out at all. What should I do?

2. Tetra

Although you may not have been ready, looks like this is it (if he knows). To be honest, you're 17 now, so pretty soon they won't be able to do anything anyways. It's your life, and they can't tell you how you need to live it.

If we look at the positives here, although you weren't ready, at least now you don't have to muster up all the courage to tell them. You don't need to agonize about it, and you won't need to come up with an elaborate plan of how you'll let them know.

You said your mom already suspected it, so there it is. Maybe you can casually talk with your dad later, to see how he's feeling. Maybe that'll lead to talking about it in more detail with him, to let him know that this isn't something you chose, but something that you ARE and can't change.