1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Coming Out To School.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GayAndProudd, Mar 25, 2014.

1. GayAndProudd

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey EC!, So to start this off, I'm a 13 almost 14 year old teen. I've already come to terms and accepted the fact that i'm gay, i even came out to my parents on October 15,2013. I really don't know how they stand on the fact, because at the time they didn't say much and it's such an awkward topic to bring up. Now, at school some of my friends know. I live in a pretty rural area and I honestly don't know how many homophobics around here, but back to the point. I do and i don't want to come out to my whole school, do you think that it's necessary for me to tell the whole school?. I'm so lost right now, Everybody thinks of that stereotypical gay person. I'm kind-of feminine, but don't act it most of the time. I don't know if I should come out so i can be my actual self all the time, because at-the-moment, i have to just pretend when i'm not around my friends. This has been on my mind for awhile now, so I decided to come to this amazing community for LGBT teens like me :slight_smile:. Thank you all for you're time, and I hope you have an amazing day.

2. Querying

You don't necessarily have to come out with a big sign - there are different ways of doing it. You could always make a facebook post or shout it in the middle of the school hallway if that's what you're most comfortable doing, but if it's not, there's other ways of being a bit more subtle e.g. wearing a pride bracelet or mentioning how attractive a certain guy is (though under most circumstances, the latter is not recommended)

However, you can always be 'out' in a softer sense - if anyone asks, you tell; if it's clear someone's not gonna ask, tell them if you need to, but if they aren't a big part of your life, don't bother. Everyone'll get the word eventually.

Personally, I would prefer to do the FB post method as I want to be the one to tell people and break the dam, but it's all about what you're comfortable with. I hope I helped!

3. Neo1979

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi
    How many of your close friends have you told that you are gay? Have they all accepted you with no hesitations? Do you need the whole of the school to know your sexuality? Does it really matter that people you dont really care about know?

4. GayAndProudd

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey Neo1979!
    Thank you so much for you're response, now here's my answer. Alot of my friends are okay with me being gay. I really never hear them talking about it, so i assume they don't care if im gay or not. Now, I'm not that positive if everybody needs to know. That's why i came here to get you're guys opinion. Thank you so much for responding <3. And have a fabulous day.

5. Neo1979

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well if you are 100% comfortable in who you are then why not go for it? There maybe some people who dont like the fact that you are gay if you are sure you can handle any negativity or "comments" then why not go for it. Its all down to you; at the end of the day we dont know your school or your schoolmates or how strong willed snd confident in yourself you are...it might be a good idea asking one of your friends who knows your gay what their opinion is on you telling everyone...it may be the case that everyone already knows but doesnt really care? If you do manage to be 100% out it may give hope to the other gay kids at your school. :slight_smile: good luck whatever you decide :slight_smile: