1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sexuality, sleepovers, and coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Karabeara, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Karabeara

I pretty sure I'm gay and I'm going to wait a little while to come out just to make sure. However I'm worried when I do that I won't be able to have sleepovers any more. What are you're opinions and experiences with sleepovers. This is another reason I'm waiting to come out but not telling my family is driving me crazy. They're very supportive and my mom's bisexual ( married to my dad ) but I don't want anything to change. I don't know I can wait 4 years to come out to my parents. Any experiences or advice would be much appreciated.

2. katwat

Hi Karabeara

I was hoping someone with some experience would answer you but I guess your thread got dropped down the list.

Just from the "mom" side of things, if your parents are supportive and open you might want to tell them that you are questioning your sexuality and that you are concerned that it will change things in your life. Let them know that you don't want to have to give up the activities that you enjoy but you want to discuss your feelings with them to help you understand yourself better.

Good luck to you

3. nyxe

If your parents are supportive, then come out whenever you're most comfortable with it. Also with the sleepovers, I have a bisexual friend who is almost always sleeping over with another girl. Just talk to your parents about your concerns if you have any when you come out to them. Good luck :slight_smile:

4. lovely lesbian

If your parents are supportive then tell them but when your ready

5. deejay

Out Status:
    A few people
    As you mentioned your parents are supportive. So I think, you can come out to them anytime you wanted, however you can start telling them as long as you are ready. (*hug*)

6. lukeluvznicki13

"Have you ever had sex before?!"

I was just like..."omg here we go ._."
    But it was actually fine after that.

7. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It all just depends. I still have sleepovers with my close friends, and my parents have no problems with it. However, they'd probably be concerned if I wanted a significant other or someone I was interested in/they didn't know all that well to sleep over. You can explain to them that just cause you like other girls doesn't mean you like all of them, and your friends are going to remain just that, close friends.

8. Soaring

I was going to try and be helpful and answer this but then I realized that literally all of the friends I sleep over with are either bisexual or pansexual and everyone's out. ._. When a lot of us sleep over together it's kind of great though. Like a platonic gay cuddle pile. But that's just my experience.

I know that coming out to even supportive parents can be difficult (my mom is a lesbian) but I guess you just have to either trust them to understand or continue hiding it from them. You have to weigh the positives and the negatives. Now that my mom knows I'm pan she's convinced that I like everyone I ever mention. It's kind of annoying but oh well. She keeps asking me whether or not I'm dating certain people, which is weird, but once I make sure she knows that we're just friends she still lets me sleep over with them.

9. anniebunnie

anniebunnie Guest

When I came out to my parents it was bad but it's a weight off my shoulder. It sounds like your parents will be cool so I wouldn't stress it! Do it when you're ready! If you want to talk some more feel free to message me. I feel like I could relate to you!