1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone got some advice for my situation?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Hipptogryph, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Hipptogryph

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey guys! I am trying to come out to everyone but it is just so awkward in a conversation. I have come out to a lot of people, but mostly friends. I have come out to my mom, but my dad is another story.
    My parents got divorced around seven years ago but hey, whatever makes them happy. My dad remarried so now I have two stepsisters. I have come out to one, who is one of my best friends even though she 6 years older than me. My dad is kind of homophobic so I don't really know how he will react, but my stepmom is totally fine with it (just gleamed off of most conversations.) I've been trying to tell him (them I guess) for a while and recently gave my dad a huge hint (I said I was never going to date a girl) but I don't think he will acknowledge it of even listen unless I tell it to him straight. I've been considering and I think I am going to write a letter. Is this any good? Do you think it's a bad idea?
    I also want to come out to my brother and sister (my other stepsister I don't know very well and I assume my stepmom/dad will tell her once I do) but I have never come across a good time. Neither are homophobic (as far as I can tell and you never know) but it is just awkward to bring up. I am not ashamed at all, its just... bleh. You know? Any advice on them as well?
    Thanks! Everything is appreciated.

2. B B

B B

Hello!

I think that coming out to your dad through a letter is a good idea; maybe just make him find the letter and leave the house for a bit. In this way, if his reaction is bad, you won't risk any violent reaction; maybe even contact your step-mother after a while, to see if your father read the letter and what his reaction was like. Since you said your dad is kind of homophobic, I think this is the safest way to come out.

Yeah, I perfectly understand what you mean about coming out to your siblings, because I feel that way too! But I think, if you feel ready to come out to them, you should just do it. It will be strange at first, but, step by step, that feeling of awkwardness will disappear.
    Just do it when you're ready and don't hurry yourself... You have all the time of the world :slight_smile:

3. Hipptogryph

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I'm going over to his house this weekend, so should I just leave it on the counter or something when we leave? And what should be in it?