1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to be positive

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ironmaiden23, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Ironmaiden23

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have acknowledged being bisexual since January but I haven't come out to everyone I am also a Christian but my church is extremely traditionalist but my parents are extremely religious as well. I have only told a few friends but I don't know how to go about it. And the bad part is that I live with my parents who are abusive as well. But I want to tell everyone , So how should I go about it? Any advice would be great :slight_smile:.. I've:lol: told a couple friends but they didn't really seem to care or forgot I would like to have my better friends to really support me and be there for me .. So I would take any advice :slight_smile:

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Prepare for the worst but don't expect it.

You know how all those people have 'zombie defence kits' and things? A big bag full of useful things for the zombie apocalypse?

You know how everyone laughs about how dumb that is because it's never going to happen? Yeah of course you do. We ALL do.

Now all of a sudden WHAM. Something happens. Financial collapse? Super virus? Nuclear war?

All of a sudden our zombie prepared friend can grab his stuff and head for the hills, while you're left trying to decide if you should take the red shoes or the blue shoes!

What's the point of this little story?

Nobody expects the zombie apocalypse to actually happen (well a few nutjobs might, but most people don't), but some people have prepared for it. Why? Because the WORST might not happen, and they might never need that zombie kit, but if something else happens, they are prepared for it.

How does that relate to you?

Your church is 'extremely traditionalist', your parents are 'extremely religious'. So what do you do? Prepare yourself for the worst, whatever that is for you. Then go to these people expecting the best. They might suprise you.

3. Ironmaiden23

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks @ElliaOtaku its just seriously hard .. They are very close minded and I'm terrifed my parents will throw me out. I wont move out till sept of this yr to marry my fiance but theyve done it before and my dad is extremely homophobic and my mom doesnt like gay ppl and makes fun of them :frowning2:

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Another thought occurs.

What do you hope to achieve by coming out to your parents/family? What is the purpose of you coming out?

5. Ironmaiden23

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I just want to be honest and stop hiding who I have been my whole life...to everyone .I dont want to sit in church to think I have to hide my sexuality every church I go ..I not going to stop going to church and being a Christian just because I'm Bi there are many Christians who are homosexual and still love God

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're in a bit of a tricky situation living with your parents. In all honesty, I wouldn't come out to them while you are still living under their roof (unless you have the means to support yourself right now). That's probably not what you want to hear, as it feels like you are living a lie, but there is no telling how they will react if they are very religious and traditional in their thinking. If they react badly, I doubt you will be able to reason with them.

I'm also a Christian, but I have a very different take about sexuality. I don't feel conflicted at all as a gay man, and I've found a lot of support within my Church, which is at the more liberal end. I'm grateful for that.

If you can support yourself, go for it. If not, bide your time.

7. Ironmaiden23

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thank @Linco I probably wont come out to everyone till after I marry my fiance in Sept. Unfortunately my church is very old fashioned ..But I dont want to stop going to church and be afraid to even step foot in a church just because I'm Bi.. I believe every Christian where a hetero or a homo or in Between should be able to worship God freely without being run out of the church

8. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I so agree and I hope it doesn't happen when you decide to come out. I've tried to argue with traditionalists and evangelicals, but sad to say, it's a lost cause. The drawbridge seems to go up in the face of reason - they have their views and nothing will move them.

Hope all goes well in and after September.

9. Ironmaiden23

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm very blessed my fiance is very understanding and even through hes straight hes a strong Christian and his own sister is Bi and best friend is Bi when his sister came out their church was really upset and shunned her ..She has a gf for a while but then then broke up and she wants to have a husband still..My fiance loves me regardless..and he believes God made ppl who are homo to control the Earths population. If everyone was hetero the world would be over populated @Linco

10. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

As someone who has been in your shoes, I totally agree with the above. Although your parents may say I hate the sin but love the sinner and give you a great big hug, they could also get medieval. You said they're abusive? Do you think they would be abusive to you at your age? Do you mean physically or verbally?Not even my crazy parents were physicality abusive, but I've heard of parents that are that bad. The bottom line is you should at least have a plan in case things turn out badly and the ability to carry it out. No one should have to suffer abuse for coming out, but sadly it happens.

11. Ironmaiden23

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have been abused in every way expect sexually I have my rapists to thank for that .. They wouldn't just abuse me but throw me out. So i plan to wait till sept when I marry my Fiance..