1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to roommates

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Chiroptera, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello everyone!

First, i'm not sure "roommates" is the correct word here. I will use it to refer to the people who live with me, in the same house. We all study in the same university, and we are all from other cities.

Ok, here is the situation:

I meet a few people when i moved to my university, and we became friends (unfortunatelly, not really close friends, but we get along well). One year or so later, they grouped up and moved to a house, and invited me to live with them.

I accepted, and i think i am here for sometime now. We aren't really close (or they aren't really close to me), but we get along well, sometimes we drink together (rare moments), sometimes i get some games for everyone, and we never had any serious discussions (the worst that happened is me or one of them forgetting to take out the trash or something like that, but a word or two and everything gets back to normal).

The problem is i don't feel like part of the group. They are very nice people, they are calm like me, but i spend most of the time locked inside my room, while they are in the living room. I know i could be there with them, but 90% of the time i'm just more confortable alone.

Now, here is the problem:

They don't know i'm bi (or, at least, i think they don't). And i started dating a guy a few days ago, and i think (and hope) we have a chance of moving to a more firm relationship.

I want to bring him home, but i'm not sure how others would react. Even if i don't bring him there, they would discover sooner or later when they see us together elsewhere.

I think the best thing to do would be talking to them separatedly, right? But i'm scared to death that they will kick me out, even if not immediatelly, because if this happens i don't have anywhere to go, and i would be forced to abandon my studies and return to my parents.

I'm not sure if they are homophobic. They seem open minded, but i just don't have any idea how they would react to this.

One of them saw "marks" on my neck a few days ago, and i said i was "hanging out" with someone. He asked for the name, but i said i wouldn't answer for now.

I don't know what to do. Should i hide it until i find a plan B? Should i search for somewhere else to go (that would be hard)? Should i just say the truth and hope for the best?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks everyone! Sorry for my wall of text, and again, sorry for my poor english skills :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly, I think the person who saw the "marks" on your neck probably has probably some idea seeing that you dodged the question and wouldn't tell him straight up but then again, I wouldn't know but that same exact situation (me dodging the question) is what planted the idea into my friend's mind that I wasn't straight.

If you're not sure they're homophobic, then bring up a piece of LGBT news and see how they would react. Chances are, they'd react well since you've said they seem open minded.

In any case, good luck and I wish you the best!!