1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out and Future Life

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ilovemylife, Mar 30, 2014.

1. ilovemylife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have one thing that is holding me back from fully coming out: my life goal.

My life goal is to own a business with the intention of making a lot of money. Not a sufficient living, but practically a fortune. Yes, I realize this is a high expectation, but that's what goals are for, right? J.P. Morgan, Rockefeller, Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Steve Jobs are all my idols. Their wealth, power, and success are what I strive for.

Anyways, I now know that I am gay, but being gay, no matter how accepted it is, will be an obstacle I need to overcome to reach my goal. I've lived by the motto, "Don't burn any bridges you come in contact with. You never know when you'll need to cross them again." Being gay, unfortunately, will burn a significant amount of bridges. I'm conflicted because I have feelings for a guy, but my life goal is very important to me. To come out and take a chance on this guy would be to put that goal at risk. But it kills me to let go of someone that I care deeply about. I'd hate to make the decision between the two. It will only get worse if I get a boyfriend.:tears:

Coming out before I reach my goal will hurt my chances at making my fortune. Coming out after will mean a long while of lying to everyone and not being with someone I actually have feelings for. I've bottled up and ignored my feelings for too long, and now it's time to face my problems.:bang:

If anyone has any advice that would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to give up on either one of them. This has been keeping my up at night for the past year. Thank you all.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Put it this way, if you don't already have a bunch of money, or have any idea how you're going to make it, you're not making money in this world.

Dreams are fine, but denying who you are for the sake of some pipe dream that it is almost impossible to achieve is ludicrous.

By all means try. Deny it until you achieve your goal, but prepare yourself to die alone (or in a marriage with a woman you don't care for).

More importantly, even if you come out and have a boyfriend who the heck is going to know about it?

Nobody cares.

Until you actually get money or an idea worthy of report, nobody gives a damn about your personal life. Until your face is being plastered in newspapers for some brilliant idea, it's not coming up that often. Or at least, it's not getting in the way of you earning 'riches'.

3. I heart Owls

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Think of it as a new goal, face your feelings for this guy and work for your success. You can be a new idol to young men like yourself. Yes being successful is itself a big challenge but being in a relationship with a man who will support you as you try to reach your goal, and when you are able to do both wont it be that much more satisfying? :thumbsup:

4. yep

yep

Coming out for me was relieving, so i think if anything, it would play out in your favor. Why do you think it would hurt your chances at success?

Look at Tim Cook, replacement to Steve Jobs! He's gay and he's successful. What's stopping you?

5. ilovemylife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Being outed as gay will limit the amount of people I can do business with. Sadly, there will be some people who will refuse to work with me solely because of my sexuality. Like I said, I don't want to burn any bridges that I might need later.

It's mainly a fear rather than a reality. I am afraid that my chances at succeeding in the business world will be hurt because of this. I don't want to risk it unless I know I can overcome it.

6. straddletheline

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm in my early 50's and have been involved in a gay relationship since I was 22.

I'm no Bill Gates...but we are relatively wealthy and in the top 1% of income earners in the United States.

Your sexuality shouldn't make a bit of difference in how high you climb. I did experience one bit of discrimination about ten years ago while heading up a Silicon Valley start-up. An investor who we were hoping would come on-board, told my board of directors that he would only invest in our company if I was removed as COO because his advisers found out that I'm gay. They told him to f-off.

Do something you love and the money will follow.

#6 straddletheline, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  7. ilovemylife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's good to hear that you had a supportive board of directors. This made me feel 100x better about the situation, especially since it came from someone who has actually gone through what I am hoping to do. Thank you very much. Thank you everyone else who has shared their supportive comments. I guess I'm just being over-dramatic :icon_redf

8. straddletheline

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The world is a much different place than it was only 10 years ago...unless you're unfortunate enough to live in Uganda.

9. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Isn't Tim Cook (CEO of Apple) a yummy gay man?
    Didn't hold him back !!!

10. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Do you already know what kind of business you will make millions at? I get it if it's a business that caters mainly to religious organisations, for example.

If you haven't picked yet, I'm sure there are industries where being gay is actually a plus.

Some people even today will refuse to do business with people based on their gender, ethnic origin, political affiliations. If it's not the gay thing it's something else...

11. ilovemylife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Without getting too technical, I plan to run a business that helps veterans and disabled people with advanced prosthetic technologies.

But you are right, there will be discrimination everywhere I turn whether it be my sexual orientation, race, or (lack of) religion. I heart Owls and yep put it well. Even though I will have this obstacle, getting over it will be a great achievement. I shouldn't let it hold me back from my goal. Thank you all. I think its time that I be honest with myself and everyone else.

12. a1rborne

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Also Peter Thiel, one of the Facebook directors and co-owner (10%?) is gay, and is looking good :slight_smile:
    So, everything is possible. Especially, if you found your own organisation.