1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grandfather is homophobic.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by gaynerd64, Mar 30, 2014.

1. gaynerd64

Forgive the language, I am incredibly mad right now. Nobody knows I am gay even and it is getting harder to pretend I am straight. Yesterday I posted that I was through trying to act normal but I am having a hell of a time sticking to it. Part of the problem is my grandfather, a good man but homophobic and firm in his beliefs. He criticizes me on everything. Apparently my voice is too high pitched. I walk like a girl. So what? How the hell does the way I walk affect anything? When I stopped trying to be this perfect "man" he wanted me to become he just got angry. I don't want to offend anybody, especially my grandfather of all people. And then I have the damn Christian aspect of this to deal with. I used to be Christian, but I stopped for obvious reasons. My Grandfather is a hardcore Christian and he is constantly trying to pull me back into church. Personally I don't like being told that I will burn in Hell. Whenever I refuse he just gets pissed. What am I to do about him? No I am not going to wait or rethink being gay. I know who I am and there is no point in denying it or postponing it.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let him get pissed?

Seriously.

2 things are happening

1. He's pointing out that you 'act gay' (high voice, walk like a girl). Well no SHIT granddad!

2. He's setting you up to be told you'll burn in hell (according to you). Which is about as effective as telling you the magical aids chicken is going to steal your teeth.

Age isn't an excuse for being a bigoted pain in the arse. But if he insists on BEING a bigoted pain in the arse, let him do it on his own. Why keep yourself around it?

As you've said, you're not going to wait or rethink. Why should you hide who you are? If he doesn't like it, it's his problem.

3. IG88

Yeah, I love my grandpa, but sometimes he still carries some bad habits from the era he grew up in. Like dropping the "n" word occasionally. We always correct him on it, but being a stubborn old man...

I don't agree with everything that comes out of my grandpa's mouth, but I don't let it affect me. You shouldn't either. Tell him that some guys have deep voices and some have high voices...it's genetics or something. Probably from his side :slight_smile:

And by the way, you don't have to stop being Christian because you're gay. Just stop being like his type of Christian. Jesus said absolutely nothing on homosexuality, but he did say to love others like you love yourself, so it follows that Christians, or Christ followers, should follow his commandment, no?

Here is a link to find a gay affirming church near you. Please please please PM or post to my wall if you have questions about how to be gay and Christian. I've been doing research into it. Basically, don't use gay as an excuse to give up on God.