1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Help

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by konfused612, Jul 22, 2008.

1. konfused612

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Short version:

How does one (who is living at home with his parents and is currently in between primary doctors) find a therapist?

Long version:

I just graduated from college. While on one had there were a lot of good things that came out of this experience, there was also quite a bit I had to work through (figuring out my sexuality was certainly a big part of that). I thought I was making progress, but in my last semester things started getting bad again. I eventually took advantage of the counseling program that the school offers, and got to see a therapist for the last month. It was nice, and finally felt like a step in the right direction.

Now I've graduated. I've got a job for next year (working as a teacher's aide at my former high school). I'm planning on living at home with my parents for the next year (this is only a one year job). I was hoping to have the summer as a relaxing time before starting my job in late August, but so far this has been far from relaxing. I guess there is still a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth from last semester, the fact that I've graduated, plus a handful of other unresolved issues.

I could go into more detail about what's been going, but I think it would be best for me to find a therapist (someone who I can talk to face to face about what's going on). It's just that I'm not sure how to. I'm at a transition point with my regular doctor, so I'm not sure I'd be able to find one through him (my old docotor was my pediatrician who is being resistant to me working with me (since I'm now too old) and the person I'd like to be my new doctor doesn't have any openings for new patients till October). Then there's the issue of my parents: I'm not exactly sure how to approach them about this. I'm really not ready to tell them everything yet, but seeing as I'm living at home it'd be hard not to tell them I'm seeing a therapist. So I'm not exactly sure what to do in that regard. Plus I'm really not sure how one goes about finding a therapist in the first place.

So I know this is turning into a bit of a ramble, but if anyone out there has any thoughts on this matter I'd love to hear them.

Thanks much.

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You can call your local PFLAG chapter. They usually have a list of GLBT friendly therapists and can give you some referrals.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You sound like you're in America. If that's true, and you're getting a new doctor, I'm guessing you may have health insurance. If that's the case, you should be able to get a referral to a therapist through them. You should be able to either check online, or call up your health care provider, and see if that's the case.

Lex