1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else who came out as bi first?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by IsThisAName, Mar 31, 2014.

1. IsThisAName

Well, after yet another argument with my mom (long story), we had a talk and she told me she didn't know what I was anymore. She said she was confused because I told her I was bi two weeks ago and that now I'm acting like I'm "full blown gay." She said she didn't want me to lie and say I'm bi just to try to ease her into it and that if I was gay to just tell her. I told her that I wasn't lying when I said I was bi and that I know I'm at LEAST bisexual, but that I might just be gay, but I haven't figured it out yet. I told her that a lot of my friends who are gay thought they were bi first and that it's just a step a lot of people go through, and that might be what I'm experiencing. But I told her that if I am gay and I tell her later, I don't want her to think I was lying when I said I was bi because I was being honest at the time. It's just a long process figuring it all out.

Has anyone else come out as bi first before coming out as gay? What were your parents reactions? Your friends? Did anyone take you less seriously? I know this is something a lot of people do as almost all of my friends who are gay came out as bi first. I'm just wondering what everyone else's experiences was like and how your parents handled it, and how did you handle coming to grips with the fact that you're gay and not bi? I'm not positive yet but gay is starting to feel like more accurate of a label for me.

2. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    When I told a friend who i came out to as bi one of them was very accepting . Online I got flack here on this site someone told me I'm the reason why people think bisexuals aren't real and I spark myths about the bi community they talked to me like I was doing it on purpose and like if I was a liar . I felt bi back then I really did even though now I know I wasn't at all and was just in the barganing stage of self acceptance . God knows back then I couldn't handle being a lesbian .

3. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah. I thought I was bi for about 10 years and fought it with every ounce of strength I had. It didn't work, and I came out to my parents, sister, and a couple good friends. But once I gave myself permission to start thinking about dating guys and checking out hot guys I saw and crush on guys, well, that's really all I wanted to do, so I've since re-come out to everyone I told I was bi. It was a lot easier than telling them the first time, and I told them pretty much what I posted here.