1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Gsa

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Geist, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Me and a lesbian friend of mine have decided to take it upon ourselves to start a GSA at our school starting next year. Our school is not very supportive of gay students but they arn't violent towards them it is much more of a don't ask don't tell policy amongst students. This has lead to us feeling isolated and alone in our school. Which is what lead to the decision to start a GSA.

Our major problem though is that we simply don't have the people we need to get it started. We were able to draw up a few names of people who are supportive and might help but we are really lacking of any names of gay people who go to our school. The problem is that everyone is still closeted. And after talking to her and having her talk to some people. It turns out that as far as most of the people who know me are concerned I'm still straight. Her idea is my coming out (no one at my school is currently out) may help people who are in the closet feel better about coming out. Now I'm not going to do anything drastic all I would really have to do is lead the GSA and everyone would know.

And I'm a little ashamed to admit this, but I don't really even know how to set up a club or what a GSA is even supposed to do. I can find out how to set up a club following my school regulations, but if anyone could tell me a bit about GSA's how to set them up what to do how to advertise all of it I would greatly appreciate it. :help:

2. paint

wow. I don't think mine has one either. hmmm. this sounds really interesting...and scary. I think I know of one or two guys at my school. and I saw 2 girls kissing outside once. But I don't know anyone personally. :confused:

out of 3000 there's bound to be some.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I think it is really cool that you want to start up a GSA! Go for it!

Given that you are lacking the number of people to start up the GSA, maybe try getting a counselor or teacher involved. This might help in getting it started and people who are still in closet might also be a bit more open to join as there would be some support from the school for it.

In terms of coming out at school for the purpose of the GSA and make it easier for others perhaps to follow, my suggestion would be to think about it some more. If you don't feel comfortable with it or don't feel ready for that step, don't go for it. But it is really up to you. Leading the GSA would not necessarily suggest that you are gay. Lots of straight people who are supporters of GLBT rights and members lead GSAs.

Setting up a GSA, if you follow your school regulations, should be straight forward. Usually you would have a first meeting where you would decide on a constitution for the club, elect a 'president' and a few other members for the 'executive' who would help you to run the club. The other thing you could do is talk to someone about it as well.

In terms of spreading the word around, you could request to have a booth or stand on club days and introduce the GSA to those who stop by and are interested. Another possibility would be to distribute fliers with a little bit of info on the GSA and perhaps your first meeting.

A GSA usually promotes GLBT issues and rights within the school. Some are also active in the community and participate in events organized by GLBT groups/organizations within the community. GSA's usually have regular events that are open to members as well as non-members such as coffee houses, movie nights, readings, etc...

What might also help, try finding GSAs that have a website. I'm sure you would find some more info and/or ideas about promoting/running a GSA.

Hope this helps a bit. If you need more information let me know.

#3 Mirko, Jul 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  4. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

This sounds like my school I would love to start a GSA there but the problem is that as far as I know the only people at school that are gay are me and this other guy who I used to be mates with but we had our problems and we don't talk any more. Anyway the counselor has talked to me about starting a GSA so there must me more then just us that she knows of, but she doesn't seem to be very willing about doing anything about it very fast.

About the only advice that I can give you is to talk to someone like a counselor about it because you are going to need someone other then students if you are going to start a GSA.

As far as I know about what a GSA does well it's not much but I think mostly it's just so people don't feel so alone and they can get to know other gay people and people who support gays who are in their community/school and to discuss thing that usually wouldn't be talked about as much.

Hope this has helped a little and Good Luck with starting a GSA hope you have more luck then I have so far. :slight_smile:

5. lolz

i hate how my school looks at the GSA.. in YAC (youth advisory council) we made a mural of all the organizations in the school and i quietly mentioned we forgot GSA (not trying to sound like i wanted it.. haha im so sad) but even our adviser who is a teacher said all of the kids that are in GSA are seniors, and next year nobody will even be involved, and it is too much of a wishy-washy organization to put on a permanent mural..

anyways i hope you go for it.. more GSAs can only help this issue

6. I wish I could join your GSA! I hope there's one in college...or a group like that.

My gsa was great for about 2 years, then when the seniors left it was taken over by all girls (which is not bad), and then it kinda fell apart :frowning2:

Good luck! Be strong!

7. Derek the Wolf

Man, I wish I could start a GSA at my school. Unfortunately I go to a military academy. And I'm the only person I know of there who isn't straight. That idea wouldn't get far. Anyway, enough of me ranting. Good luck getting it started! I know it can feel like you're alone sometimes, but remember, a lot of people who will join GSA aren't actually gay. You should be able to get enough people to join.

8. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Are you going to college in Connecticut...I may be able to help.

9. paint

Okay, I have my heart set on a GSA social/ activist club at my high school. If he wanted to, the principal could forbid the club on campus.:eusa_snoo

But I can still say the group exists and spread the news. Meetings would have to be somewhere else, though.