1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did Coming Out Drastically Change Your Confidence?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Turtle Crossing, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Turtle Crossing

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been in an overall funk lately with my confidence. I think, why don't I just come out and it will help me get my life back on track with work and my family. Has anyone felt a boost in other areas of their life by coming out? What did the change feel like emotionally?

2. KrnlKrazy

KrnlKrazy Guest

For me, I felt better about myself. It did help a lot. I felt good about how attractive I was. Which was something I would fuss over. Just being able to say hey this is me can feel great. But it all depends who your coming out to. Because sadly some people are just dirt bags when it comes to this. It's up to you man! I don't gotta much I could say.
    [​IMG]

3. Wolf123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It has been an interesting road. I came out to my close family last year. After a year my mother finally asked me about my life meaning about a girlfriend and such. It was interesting and uncomfortable. I think this just has to do with me liking to keep things to myself, but when we do talk about it I still have a difficult time saying "Lesbian" or "Gay" what have you. I spoke to my mom just last week about my feelings about life and when she told me, "I accept you, but now you have to accept yourself" I could not help, but hug her. I felt amazing hearing her finally say that and really just wanted to cry for joy. She said I have to stop feeling down about my sexuality and accept myself so I can be more happy which she is right about.
    I also have other issues with letting people close so that factors into which I am thinking of going to group counseling for. I am ready to go to the battleground and work on myself more when it comes to accepting my whole self. I think I have changed when it comes to what I want now. Before when I was in, I was telling people I never wanted a relationship, but now I am getting closer to accepting the fact that I would like to one day be with someone. So yes, part of my confidence has gotten better, but it is still a bit low for other reasons.

4. artist92

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It boosted my confidence significantly.

5. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It boosted mine, at least until last night, but that is a different story.

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    At first it did not, but as time went on, that began to change. I am now way more confident of a person than I ever could've been before I came out.

7. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It certainly changed my outlook on life, but I wouldn't say my confidence changed much.

I suppose, it has made me more outgoing in my self expression, but I was never had a confidence issue there. Again, it was more a change of my outlook of things and a need to change a few things about myself.

Happy days :slight_smile:

8. Wolf123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You just read my mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!):eusa_clap:eusa_danc:

9. Straw_berry

Yes it did, significantly, even coming out to a few people has helped me gain the confidence to come out to closest friends and family Nyu~

10. Kamina

It definitely helped my confidence but I was super ready to come out (I'm just recently out to my friends) so officially doing it was like the last step and it just made me a little bit lighter. Which is always helpful! :grin:

Don't come out if your not ready tho okay? I'm at a catholic school and even though my friends are amazing and accepting another girl I know was just holding hands with a girl she knows from grade school showing her around our school and people were yelling dyke at them. Neither are gay and it didnt really bother them ;but moral of the story: some people are assholes and it could be worse for your confidence.

(*hug*) good luck!!

11. biggayguy

I felt much more free to be myself and to try new things. For example, trying new clothes or wearing nail polish.

12. Silver Sparrow

It definitely made my confidence grow a lot, especially in social situations with my peers.

13. antimacy

I'm not totally out, but comparing my relationships to the people to whom I am out and those who I am not, I definitely feel much more comfortable and confident when I'm around people who know.

That being said, I haven't faced extremely negative reactions yet. So, that may change. But honestly, if you feel like you'll be more confident and comfortable if you come out, coming out is something worth considering for sure!

14. ChameleonSoul

Without a doubt, coming out to my friend in February made a world of a difference and definitely gave me a much needed boost in my self-esteem. While not everyone in the world is accepting of the LGBT community, there are many people out there who will not think any differently of you because of your sexual orientation.

Just remember that if you can find one person to confide in, you not only have that support system to go to, but you also have experience in coming out when the time comes to tell someone else.