1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my parents and a few of my close friends..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by danskdreng, Apr 2, 2014.

1. danskdreng

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi I'm new here I'm from Denmark. A couple of days ago I came out to my mom and a few of my friends. My 21 year old brother already knew since last year. My father however, didn't know. So later, I told my mom that I wanted her to tell my father because I know he was going to find out sooner or later. So she did. My father since then has stopped talking to me, refuses to sit at the table for dinner, and was gone from 7am - 9pm Sunday. He went to work today and came home early and hasn't said a word to anyone. My mom did get him to talk last night. He expressed no interest in me. He said he doesn't want anything to do with me. I am quite upset with the results too. I'm really torn because when my brother moves out soon it's going to be my mom, my father and I, and I don't want things to go havoc between them. I'm afraid that he's going to try to kick me out.

Everyone knows everyone in college, and I came out to a few people, one of them was my ex best friend we recently got into a fight I don't think we will ever get past and I was suspended from the soccer team. What if to get back at me he tells everyone from the team that I am gay? I will literally never be able to show my face again. I'm literally about to cry right now I'm so depressed

I really don't know what to do. Could someone please give me some direction on what I should do?

2. Villo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am sorry to hear about your father's reaction to you being gay. I am not sure if this is any help, but there are parents who reacts badly in the beginning, but after a while things will begin to calm down. I am not sure if that is the case here, but I would give it a bit more time ( a week or two ) and see how he feels then.

Just curious, what makes you think he might wants to kick you out? How was your relationship with your father before you came out?

About your friend, and the chances of him revealing your sexual preference to the rest of the team, is something only you an idea about:slight_smile: Is he a trustworthy person, do you think he will make an attempt to hurt you due to one fight? Just because of the fight, I assume he has some sort of moral sense (since you said ex best friend), and that he would not make an attempt to hurt you that badly.

And lastly: Do not be depressed! You will get through this, even though it might be tough at the moment things will get better. People won't focus on sexuallity forever (it is mostly in the beginning), and once they have gotten used to it, then will judge you based on your personallity and actions:slight_smile:

I hope this helped you just a little, and welcome to the side! We will do our best to support you with lots of replies to your questions and with hugs! ^.^ .. Virtual hugs, but it is something!:grin:

3. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It might seem like you will never be able to show your face again, but I think you are probably underestimating your teammates; it is easy to do that when you are getting pressure from several different directions. The most important thing now is for you to find some friends who are supportive of you and use their support to remind you that you are a good person, and that being gay is really no big deal, just a difference of who you are attracted to.

As for your family, see if you can get your mother to solicit the help of a PFLAG type organization to work on your father. He obviously thinks that your being gay is some kind of negative reflection on him, and he is taking his homophobic feelings out on you, which is unfair and immature of him to do so. I once again recommend that you try to get your parents to watch the film "Prayers for Bobby" to see the hurt they are causing you, and the kind of damage this can do to a child if they do not act positively and responsibly. Your Dad needs to stop indulging himself in his unnecessary "grief" and be there for you to help you deal with your problems outside the family.

Most importantly, stay with this forum, and when you are feeling depressed, give us the chance to cheer you up and convince that it will "get better" when this immediate turmoil has subsided and your parents start acting like responsible adults. Meanwhile, start looking around your school for some gay oriented support groups, to make some new friends who will understand and support you if your old ones start acting like jerks.

4. danskdreng

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When I thought things were going to get better I was totally wrong. I havent checked my email in ages so I logged in and found out that I received 3 anoynmous qs on ask fm. I haven't used it for ages and I have no idea how did they know about it. I only came out to 5 people I never wanted the whole world to know cause Im still not ready. I am deeply offended by those questionsI don't its a joke or anything. I just feel miserable right now I think Im aboutt to break down :frowning2: :frowning2: :frowning2:(

#4 danskdreng, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  5. Villo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am not entirely sure what ask fm is, but I assume it may be like formspring - where people can ask you anonymous questions? If so, do not use those sort of websites, and try to stay away from them. Regardless of anything, really. Some people who have the opportunity to ask someone a question while remaining anonymous (since they do not have the guts to say it face to face) will be extremely cruel, and it is alright to feel offended based on your current situation.

I think you should try to talk to someone you know will listen to you and support you. It can be us here on EC, it can be someone you are related to or even a good friend. As long as you feel comfortable to whoever you speak with and they listen. Getting emotions out can be very helpful.

But don't let it get over your head, try also to focus your energy on something else. Watch a good movie/serie, play a videogame or go for a walk while listening to music. This can help you feeling more relaxed and calm (and hopefully not make you break down!^.^ )

Stay strong and try to be postive :slight_smile: Remember, even though there are cruel people, there are also people who wish to help you ^.^