1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on coming out at work...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lifesbegun, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Lifesbegun

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have recently come out to my close friends who I hadn't told, and to be honest it was a little embarrassing with how underwhelmed they were, it was like yeah, tell us something new!:confused:
    So I want to be more open at work now, but I don't just want to announce it and have that reception, or be the hot topic of gossip either to be honest. I feel like it is a bit of an elephant in the room, people don't ask me directly, but I don't bring it up.i was asked out right once on a night out, but wasn't ready to come out then so denied that I am gay....timing all feels odd now though.

Any advice on how best to come out at work without a big announcement etc, and I know it's unlikely but with minimal fuss..?:help:

2. Wolf123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just want you to know I feel the same. I feel some people may have an idea, but others nope. I will be interested in what people say.

3. katwat

If you are in a relationship maybe just casually drop "my (girlfriend/wife) and I did (whatever) over the weekend" type of things into normal conversation while other people are talking about their spouses/kids/etc.

If single, perhaps when someone is talking about "isn't he hot?" kind of stuff you could just drop in "he's not my type, I prefer (blonde/brunette/redheaded/whatever) women."

4. Lifesbegun

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not currently in a relationship, and only 1 other person at work knows and I trust her because she has known since last October....just, it shudnt be an issue, I shudnt have to say anything. Maybe I'm projecting my unease onto others....I dunno...feel like such a wuss...

5. antimacy

When coming out to new people, I try to keep it casual. This seems to be what you're looking for - to be casual about it without the announcement or the gossip.

In addition to what katwat said, in the past, I've waiting for opportunities for it to come up in conversation. One of my classmates was talking about her fiancee and was saying "Have you ever though of your perfect guy? Because I feel like I found mine". I responded with no, and she asked why, and I replied that I'd rather find my perfect girl.

Not that I believe in partners being perfect, but she just said "oh! okay then" and moved on.

Another time, a coworker asked what I did on the weekend and I told her I went to [Enter name of known gay bar here] and had a great time. Again, she just kind of nodded and we moved on.

To keep things casual, just let it come up in regular conversation. It can be as implicit or as explicit as you want it to be. Try not to put too much pressure on yourself here! If you want to keep it to yourself, you're entitled to. If you want the world to know - go for it. I hope this helps somehow!