1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to parents - Help

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AdamDSK, Apr 2, 2014.

1. AdamDSK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So.. I'm sure you all would have seen a post like this before. I'll start off by letting you know who I am.

Hi, I'm Adam. I'm 14 years of age. I've known I'm gay for about a year now, and I was thinking about telling my family. When I first thought about doing this I thought "Wait till I'm older, I doubt they would take me seriously."

Now I'm thinking maybe I just should. But I'm not sure, that's why I'm here.

Should I? If so, when and where? How should I say it?

Thank you for anyone that helps me with this.

-Adam<3

2. Csp1993

Csp1993 Guest

You'll know when the moment is absolutely perfect. You won't have to question it. In fact, it'll probably just pop into your head, "Hey, might a well tell 'em!" I always think sooner is better. That way, your parents have a long time to accept it (if it's hard for them) before you start seriously dating.

If you do decide to do it, decide on who you want to tell first. If it's one person then just wait until you have time alone with them. If it's the whole family at once then just sit them all down in the living room. When it comes to that time just say, "Mom, dad, etc., I'm gay and I've known it for a while." In all honesty, it'll come out how, where, when it wants to. Don't worry about them taking you seriously. If you are serious, they'll be serious.

3. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Coming out to parents can be difficult, but it's definitely better to do it on your own terms than to have it come out in a way you didn't intend. I had to come out to my mom when I accidentally left this site in her computer's browser history and she saw it. That was much more awkward than if I had just told her. But like Csp1993 said, it'll come when the time is right. You can wait for the perfect opportunity to come around on its own, which is rather unlikely, or you can just bring it up and tell them. If you don't want to actually have to initiate the conversation, you can write a letter, or you can leave this site up where they can see it and let them start it. Funny, I suggest that to other people and that's what came around to bite me in the arse.

Hope this helps! Good luck if you decide to go for it!

4. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm going to echo the sentiment of what Scotty said. Definitely don't come out until you've accepted yourself and feel that it's safe to do so, but don't wait for the perfect moment because that will probably never arrive. At best it's an uncomfortable thing to do, at worst it's one of the most intimidating challenges you'll ever face. If you have the courage and the confidence to make it happen now, do it -- if you look for a reason to delay or hold off you'll always find one. I strongly advise you not to end up stuck in the closet until you're old like me.

As for your parents not taking you seriously, I don't think that will be an issue. They might easily dismiss it if you were less than 12 or something, but at 14 I think they'll understand that you have a pretty good idea of what you are. If you take telling them seriously and don't try to play it off like a joke, I think they'll give you the respect you deserve and hear you out.

Good luck! :slight_smile: