1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What made you decide to come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mbanema, Apr 3, 2014.

1. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There's been a ton of threads about whether or not people should come out or asking advice on how to do it, but I'm curious to know what drove you to actually go through with it. Most people struggle with this for quite a while before finally coming out and I'd like to know what usually triggers it.

Were you just finally so comfortable with who you are that you wanted the whole world to know? Did you find it more and more difficult to hide such an important fact about yourself? Did it feel like you were living a lie? Did you meet someone so special to you that the potential consequences didn't matter anymore?

I just spent the evening at my parents house and while I had a nice time, it feels like I'm never going to tell them and they're probably never going to ask. I imagine a lot of you guys have had similar thoughts at one point or another, though probably not so many at my age. I'm perfectly fine with the fact that I'm gay and don't think I'd change it if I could. While I expect my parents would be disappointed and there would be tears from my mom I know they wouldn't hate me or anything and I'm completely financially independent. I absolutely want to be out and every bit of logic I have tells me to just get it over with, yet I know that I won't do it and it's really starting to get me down.

2. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I started going out with one of my friends when I was 12 and she was out to a few people and wanted me to come out or she was going to break up with me. I didn't want that to happen so I came out to my parents and started telling my friends as well. I was just glad we were there for each other when we were coming out, it was so much better having someone who could understand what I was going through. To be honest if it wasn't for her, I probably would still be keeping it a secret. The only people who don't know are my dad's family but they highly suspect it, I just haven't told them yet.

As for you, you should come out when you feel comfortable and ready for anything to happen.

3. AKTodd

I started coming out within a couple of weeks of concluding I was gay. My mom was one of the first 3-4 people I came out to (don't remember the exact order). It didn't really occur to me to do anything else. It was part of who and what I was, so naturally I'd share it with those who knew me.

Not to say I wasn't aware that some people wouldn't be thrilled by the news - but in my family it's pretty much the norm that the kids grow up to do whatever they please without worrying too much about what other people think. Although virtually everyone in the family was fine with my coming out.

Todd

4. Thisisnew

I decided to come out because I was sick of hiding who I was. After I came out to myself I became a happier person and I was frustrated not being able to share my new found happiness with everyone. Also, at the time I became friends with my now girlfriend and I believe that did give me the final push to come out.

5. lovely lesbian

I decided to come out becasue i felt i was ready and i came out to myself first and had to feel comafable with that before i came out to anyone else im not out to everyone just yet im only out to 5 people and i didnt actually come out to my mum she found stuff i was hiding which was horrbile but im glad she knows sorry bit long lol x

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I spent the best part of a decade in denial, trying to convince myself that I wasn't gay, when every indicator said I was. I went through a bout of depression and fought my way out of it, but still maintained the denial until the depression warning signs returned with a vengeance. It was crunch time (I knew my sexuality was a big factor in my emotional problems) and I had to face up to it.

I was getting tired of fighting to maintain a facade. In all honesty, I was worn out so I came out.

7. antimacy

Years ago, I decided to tell my friends because I didn't want to hide it from them. If just felt right.

As for the family that I have told so far... I finally decided to come out because being in the closet was making my feel a lot of negative feelings. Without getting into too much detail, I felt pretty trapped and needed to break down that door. So I told some of my family. I'm starting to feel that way again, though, so I know it's time to tell more of my family. It wasn't so much of a decision, but a point that I just told myself that I can't keep living like this.

8. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After realising and coming to terms with being bi, I felt that, in order to feel like I can be myself around others, I need to express who I really am. I was getting so wound up about it that I ended up in a bit if a wreck and so took the plunge and told my mum. I felt so much better after. I haven't come out to anyone else yet, but I feel that at least someone know who is supportive so I can take my time letting others know in my own time when I feel the time is right and I'm ready.

Happy days :slight_smile:

9. Lifesbegun

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd told a few close friends whose advice I needed, then it was awkward going out with the extended group of friends, but it took years to tell them....like others have said it is like a tipping point where the benefit outweighs the negatives... I've told my sister today, she was fine.:icon_bigg
    I want to be out at work, as again I am still living a lie there and aren't honest with people, and at home now I feel more relaxed...so I still feel conflict....it has been/ is definately a journey, not a single act...

:eek:

10. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks all for the responses! Greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

11. theMaverick

I spent years in denial, before being tired of it and slowly coming out to some. Then I went back in. Then I came out to some more people, and back in. Now, I'm ready to come out to the world, I just gotta figure out how to do it. Why, you ask? Well...I'm ready to live my life openly, to not feel shame and guilt over pretending to be someone I'm not. I want to be able to support the LGBTQ community and the best way I can do that is to get involved and I don't feel I can get involved until I'm out to the world.

12. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The first person I came out to was because I was so overwhelmed with depression and anxiety that day and she was the only person I knew would be supportive. I needed reassurance that somewhere out there I had a true friend. It was over the phone and kinda awkward, but it was what I needed.

As for my sister, I was just so fed up with no one in my family knowing I thought telling her would give me someone to confide in in my house.

I'm still not out to most people and though I am not planning on coming out to most people I've reached the stage where I don't think it would be the end of the world if everyone found out. I've reached the stage where, emotionally, I'm willing to lose a lot of friends. My reasons for not coming out now are purely financial.

13. ChainsrGone

All through school I had a lot of friends who were gay/lesbian and I never thought twice about it (I was not sure about myself yet at that point) I went through a lot of therapy in my 20s due to childhood abuse and it seemed once I got past the negative definition of myself that my abusive parents gave me, I realized why I felt so out of place in school. And slowly, I started getting to the point that I was tired of living the life that others set for me. I wanted to live MY life and be who I really was. So I just out of the blue one day decided to start telling people. I started with one of my closest friends who I knew would be supportive, and went forward after that. Once I got the most important people, I posted it on my facebook page. I got mostly good responses, and there were a few people I ended up removing from my friends list that week...but it showed me quickly who my real friends were. I am now totally out to all family and friends, and most of the parents of the kids I teach know as well. I've never been happier...being able to just be who I am with no one else defining me.

14. blimmr

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In a way I'm not really "out". Though I don't hinder or hide my sexuality. I think of it as, if someone bluntly walks up to me and ask if I'm gay then I will answer them honestly. I see no reason in hiding anymore.
    To also battle against the homophobic slurs which are used so freely in the american culture, I have started to improve myself so there's little for people to point out.

15. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I recently (this past summer) decided to come out because I was tired of being depressed and having to keep my thoughts to myself. I wanted to talk to someone else about what was going on and I couldn't really talk to others and speaking freely w/o coming out. Plus, I was tired of not living a life as openly as possible.

16. soulcatcher

Well, I got asked when I am going to get a girlfriend and I answered.

17. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

I came out after watching a movie, GBF. Depicts the stereotypical gay guy but at the end when it all worked out and the GBF gave a speech I melted and later came out to my bestfriend Christy, after watching the movie was when I first ever really gave thought to coming out.

18. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Woah, I'm surprised to see this thread resurrected. Thanks for the responses! :slight_smile:

19. ZestyLion

I just want to help the world change into a better place. As more people are coming out, it helps people build courage, causing them to come out. The world is changing and we are becoming more accepted, which makes me feel like it is worth it.

Also, I would like to meet new people in the LGBT community and possibly start dating.

20. emmyee

emmyee Guest

I was tired of pretending to be someone I'm not. I have more people to come out to, but I'm just glad I told someone.