1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panic.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by silentsound, Jul 23, 2008.

1. silentsound

My life has been very stressful lately, but it's not really outward stress if that makes any sense. Like it's not like stress during school when I am drowning in homework and sports and everything. My Dad is really close to getting a job at a company that wouldn't require us moving (again) but they have taken forever over everything and now the negotiation is just hell, I have a lot of work to do as I am leaving on a mission trip that I am spear heading in a few days, I'm sort of struggling with the whole identity/ sort of thinking of coming out thing, my brother (who I am really close to) is leaving for college soon and we are sort of pushing each other away then running back and being close again, and generally life is rather a lot to handle right now. It's not like regular stress, it's this panicky feeling. My OCD tendencies are starting to come out worse than usual and I feel very claustrophobic and cramped when I'm around other people. I haven't been able to sleep. It's just this constant feeling of panic. How can I help myself get out of this?

2. Asher4heart

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    hey you. I know how you feel. You may try talking to your parents about going to the doctor. I actually did that and I am on a medicine that is really helping me cope. Other than that...try talking to your brother. Just take a deep breath and talk to someone. I am still dealingwith my problems too. Themore I talk on here the moreit helps...But i still just want that one person...but hey thats me. I hope i helped. good luck to ya hun...

3. NativeDaughter

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I agree with Asher in that I think you should tell your brother you're at least questioning your sexuality. The built-up feeling of tension and stress is probably due to the big secret you're keeping bottled up inside. It's a huge pressure release when you finally tell someone and you'll feel that knot in your chest loosen a bit. Some part of you is desperate to "come clean" and especially to have the people you love (and whose opinions you value) accept you. I don't know your family, but if you're as close to your brother as you say, I'd have to assume he'd be okay with the announcement.

Good luck! Hope you feel better soon :slight_smile:

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Take it slow. Take it one day at a time. Don't rush into anything. Given that you are not out yet, come only out to friends and family members if you feel ready and comfortable with yourself. You mentioned that you are "struggling with the whole identity/sort of thinking coming out thing." I think it would be important that you accept your sexual identity first before coming out to others. Having figured it all out yourself first will allow you to become a lot more comfortable about yourself and stronger. Given that you are having some "panicky feelings" I am wondering if you are ready to come out at this stage. Maybe take a bit more time to explore your feelings before taking that step.

Also, if you want to, it might be a good idea to see a counselor who will also be able to help you in terms of coming to terms with your sexual identity, coming out to others and dealing with the stress that is often associated with it. It can become all overwhelming but it doesn't has to be. Having all of this bottled up inside can lead to you being stressed out. Talking about it to others will help you in relieving some of that stress.

Hope this helps!

5. yahooooo

yahooooo Guest

Hey there!!

It is a lot easier said than done, but if you feel up to it then finding someone to talk to would probably be really helpful and lessen the stress you are feeling. Try and find someone you trust to talk to. I would advise talking to an adult though, such as a teacher, counciller or any other adult that you trust. I only say this as sometimes people your own age can be quite immature and don't deal with important and hard things like sexual orientation/identity very well. Generally adults are more likely to be level headed and logical whereas younger people find it harder to understand. Obviously I don't know your friends so I can only talk from experience and in my experience generally adults are more supportive especially if you haven't decided on a "label" or whatever.

If you don't feel up to talking to someone about it yet as I know the idea can be very scary, then try and think of things you can do when you start to feel panicky. It may sound silly but just breathing can be helpful. When you start to feel really stressed just stop for a minute, try to take a couple of deep breaths and reassure yourself that everything is ok. Taking yourself out of stressful situations for a while can also be helpful. I'm not sure if this is possible for you but just going on a walk to clear your head a little is really good at calming you down. Maybe take some music with you and enjoy the fresh air and exercise. Sport and exercise is a very good way of releasing stress, so even if you don't really feel like it try going for a run, playing a sport you like etc as this is brilliant and will maybe tire you out helping with the sleep!!

If you aren't sleeping then just try not to worry about it as this just makes things worse. Maybe change your sleeping habits a little such as trying to sleep with music, the light on.. whatever. Tire yourself with something healthy such as exercise. Don't have too much caffine from coffee or coke and try not to eat too late at night. Remove distractions so you aren't tempted to stay up even when your tired and as much as possible if you do feel tired, take advantage and sleep, even if it's really early who cares!!

Basically just try to relax a little and give yourself a brake every now and then. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!!

6. silentsound

Ok, thanks everyone. I am more comfortable with my sexuality then I let on in that post, and I really am considering coming out to one person. On the "people to come out to" list my brother is near the top, but I don't know if I want to tell him just yet. Although I do trust him and we are very close, I just feel like it might make things kind of awkward because I am not planning on telling more than two or three people I really trust for a little while. The plan right now is to be out to the majority of people by 18, totally out to everyone by 19 or 20, and out to my family by my 21st birthday. Of course that's subject to change, but that's how it is right now (is it weird that I have it all planned out for 4-7 years from now when I am only 14?) Last night I had a little panic attack, but I am thinking clearer now. Has anyone else ever had panic attacks? I think that's what happened to me judging by the way my mind was working and the symptoms I had. How can I try to ward against having another one? Please help me!

7. Asher4heart

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    hey. Yes I have had panick attacks. That i one of the reasons i needed my medicine. I was having panick and anxiety attacks. The best thing you can do when you feel one coming on is just sit back and take a deep breath. When one happens. Try coming on here. There are a lot of people here to talk to and help you get through your attack. All while you are trying to find urself you are liable to have issues. Simply because it is hard to cope with. Trust me there are people liek you tho. Miles and I have to be 2 of the weirdest cases out there...but we have each other to talk to and sort things out along with the rst of the comunity here. Best of luck to you hun cuz i know exactly how you feel.