1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out as a 13 year old

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sydney, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Sydney

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've known, or have been pretty sure, that I was a lesbian for a while. The thing is, I'm not a stereotype. I don't wear army boots or beanies. I not creepy or unpopular. But people at my predominantly Christian school think of us that way. They call people gay as a derogatory term. I've realized that coming out would destroy my relationships. Only one person knows at this point. Her names Carly, and she's one of the most amazing people in the world. I can trust her with anything, and she won't go blabbing about it. I love her to death, and I'm lucky to have someone like her. Even though she's straight, she is very understanding. Not everyone has this kind of person in their life, though.
    My parents come from Mormon-Baptist backrounds, though, so coming out to them will be a lot harder.
    I wish I knew how to get more than my toe out of the closet. Any suggestions? Anyone?
    -Sydney, Asheville NC (also known as the home of hippies) :slight_smile:

2. Mehmeister

ahhhh religion... its a tricky subject, but it still can be overcome! its great that you have a friend that you can be open with, it really does help. but correct me if im wrong but is your school Catholic? if so and somehow word got out you can use the FACT that the Pope said that he doesn't think that being homosexual is a sin... for your parents you could try the method i'm choosing, breadcrumbs that ultimatally lead to the truth. But what are your parents views on homosexuality?

Hope this helps!

3. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't ever feel as though you need to conform to a stereotype. A lot of people that I know, when they first came out felt they needed to change and conform to the stereotype of their sexuality. Of course, as they got older they realized that it's not necessary, but aye - don't perpetuate the idea of the lesbian stereotype. It's so incorrect, it's humorous. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Glad you've got an awesome friend to confide it. :thumbsup:

As far as getting out of the closet more, if you think the school is too hostile for you to do it, just come out to people one at a time. That's how I started. If I sensed that someone was accepting of homosexuals, I'd let them know if it ever came up, or if I really wanted to tell them.

I'm with Mehmeister - How do your parents feel about homosexuality?