1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why am I here...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ASUBoi22, Apr 6, 2007.

1. ASUBoi22

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey Guys and Girls,

I am new to this message board and not sure what I am looking for and why I am here.

I am 25, gay male... I am out to all my friends and most of my family except the ones that mean the most to me. I am embarrassed to say I am not out to my parents, and my sisters. I guess I am worried about their love and if it would continue if they new the true me.

To make things worse is my bf of 4 years and I just broke up. I thought we could go through this situation together and he could be my support. I was wrong about that, unfortunately. Which seems to spin me deeper and darker into the closet. He was my everything; we even started talking about kids since I just purchased a home... Oh well, all good things come to an end.

But I need to come out of this closet, its negatively impacting my life and things need to change.

Advice welcome!

:thumbsup:

2. Kimi

Welcome to EC buddy(*hug*)
    Glad to have you here!...though I'm new to here too...Oh well:eusa_danc

You don't need to feel embarrassed just because you are not out to your parents and your sisters at all. It's really common that not out to their parents or close family members. Besides, I'm not out to my parents nor my brother...no one knows about me except my close friends. I am concerning that they might refuse me if I told them the truth too...And the reason why I'm not out to my parents is that they are not open mind person also I'm still depending on them. So when I got move out of their house and no longer depend on them, then I might tell them:rolleyes:

Anyways, you want to come out to your parents and sisters right?
    But you just broke up with your bf right?
    So my suggestion is not come out to your parents and sisters. I mean not NOW.
    Because reading what you post, it sound like you are not completely over this broke up yet and that makes you down...I think...
    I mean if you came out to your parents and sisters to change your situations...you never know it will change your situations in good way or bad way.
    Like you said, they might change their love to you because of that.
    And if they did, can you hold that up? Even just after broke up with your bf?
    If so go ahead, but if not, then I think you should take some time till you are over with this broke up.

Though if you think one of your parents or sisters will accept what you are and support you then it'll help you to get out of the situations, tremendously.
    But it's all up to you.

I hope things will work out well and you will be fine again(*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*)

3. xequar

I'm sorry to hear about you and your bf.

I am also 25 and coming out to the parents' today when I get to their place (I haven't told them to date because they live three hours away), and I'm finding myself becoming a big advocate of coming out, so I'm going to offer a bit of different advice from Kimi (sorry, not trying to step on toes or anything). Right now, you're going through a tough time, and in some senses, you're going through it alone. It sounds like you want to tell your family, so I would advocate doing it, if you're ready. It sounds like you're independent of your parents' financial support, so you don't need to worry about that, and if you tell them, they will either a) be supportive, which is something it sounds like you desperately need right now, b) not be supportive, which, if that is going to be the case, you might as well get it out there. Sure, it might be a bit much on your plate at once, but once it's all behind you, that's it and you get on with life. Or then there's the incredibly optimistic option, c) You've had a bf for the last four years, so unless you've never spoken to your parents in that time or you're REALLY good at hiding, they probably have some inking about you anyway. If that were the case, you'd probably be doing both yourself AND them a favor by just getting it out there.

At the very least, if you tell them, you essentially cross off one of the two big things it sounds like you're struggling with right now. Sure, you might get some other baggage, but I think it would be lighter baggage that you could deal with.

I wish you the best of luck, and if you need anything, you know we will all be here to do whatever we can! (&&&)

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I agree completely with xequar! He's given you some great advice. I think your parents would be pretty naive not to know what was going on anyway. They are probably just waiting for you to tell them. Good luck!

5. ASUBoi22

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Great advice! Thank you!

6. ASUBoi22

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Great advice!

You are correct. I am financially stable on my own and do not live or rely on my parents for financial help.

As far as if they know or not I bet they may have suspicions. I lived in a different town for those 4 years due to my career. So they really didn't have much insight on my home life. I am pretty good at hiding my life due to the career that I have chosen. Now I purchased my house in the same town as my family so I want to have more with them.

I am stable mentally and regarding my break up with my x I still love him and wish things ended differently but it was his choice. I just want their love and to open the door on this issue so I can be open about my relationship like my brother and sister in law at family functions...

Thanks for the well wishes...

Hugs :kiss:

7. dfgnan21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sounds like you are coming out to your family for all the right reasons!! Keep us posted on how it goes!