1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not even close

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by HelpImGay, Apr 6, 2014.

1. HelpImGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi all

I'm new to here but have been reading for some time.

I hope you don't mind me posting a little about my situation. I'm sure everyone may have heard all this before so bare with me

I've known I was gay since around 12. Before that I was such a happy child. I had bags of confidence. In fact if I was to see myself as a 10 year old I would even recognise him. Im a shell of that person now.

After the realisation of being gay I spiralled into a deep depression and developed social anxiety disorder (even though at that time I didn't realise it). All through secondary school, I had few friends, was bullied due to a lack of confidence and was generally known as someone who was quiet and an introvert. I basically wasn't myself.

At age 17 I began to get help from a phyciatrist for my social anxiety. Through this I began to realise that my pain was linked to be gay. It all clicked into position and I finally realised what was happening. It was a circle of being gay which lead to depression which lead to social anxiety which lead to hate being gay and so on.I finally got the courage to tell her. But soon the free sessions ran out and we no longer spoke

I am now 22 and still not out the closet. I am lost. Everyday goes by and I hope that the next day I will come out. I have accepted that I am gay but feel a million miles away from coming out.

But it effects EVERYTHING I do. Everything is a struggle. I can express who I am. I cant reach my potential in jobs nor can I gain freinds. I can never say I have had real friends. I feel so alone.

I'm not at all sure what my parents will think. I feel like they might not accept it. But regardless of if they will I don't even feel close to coming out to them. But I HAVE TO. For my own sanity.

I hear so many people say 'Just do it, you will feel better after' or 'it's your life do what you want' but these comments only make it harder. I physically cant do it.

I feel the saddest part is that I have been like this for so long I no longer remember how happy feels. I no longer remember who I am. I don't know if I would be a loud extrovert, someone with lots of friends. I just don't know and for me, this is so sad. I've lost myself. I'm just an empty shell now.

My other concern is living a life which is unfulfilled because of being closeted. I don't want to get to 40/50/60/70 and think what a sad and wasted life I have had. If this is the case I would rather die know.

I feel like I have so many goals or aspirations to do things and see things but I am so deep in the closet that these are just miles away on the other side of the closet door.

I don't know where else to go or what to do. I don't expect an answer I just need some desperate help. I cannot go on like this.

I'm sorry if that was a long rant.

Thanks for reading

2. Friendly Lion

I'm so sorry you're having a hard time and have been for a while <3

Discovering that you're gay can be difficult but I assure it doesn't have to mean deppression or being socially anxious. I accepted that I was panromantic only around a year ago and, at first, I was confused, nervous, and frightened. I thought that I couldn't be fully okay with who I was. The way I got over it was by joining a local lgtbq community. I'm not really the most social person but everyone there was so nice. They knew what it felt like going through all this.

I'm still not out to my parents, which often makes me upset and anxious. I know that my parents personally wouldn't be okay with it, but I know many kids who have come out their parents an been openly accepted. It's a big step but well worth it.

I know how it is to feel out of place or like you're hiding part of yourself but it doesn't mean you have to be constantly sad or anti-social.

Being gay can be amazing. You can choose to throw away stero-types and just accept yourself. Through this journey, I've learned many new things about myself. I've even ben able to find love, whichI hope you can find too.

I'm sorry these things have been happening to you but I promise there is more to it than that.

Also, if you're having problems with deppression, seeing a therapist can help. I've seen a therapist and it actually does a lot for me. Also, if you want to talk, add me. I'm here any time. <3

3. HelpImGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the nice reply.

I don't even feel like I could go to local lgtbq community because I'm terrified of someone knowing me or someone telling someone. It would be the end of the world if I got outed. I feel like I am so depressed that being outed would finish me of. I don't have the energy to deal with it

I just don't know where to go from here

4. Friendly Lion

Do you have any close friends or old friends that you could meet up with again? I know I wouldn't have been able to get through this without the help of my friend Alex.

And, even if you can't get to a local in person meeting, this is a great community right here. :slight_smile:

5. HelpImGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Unfortunatley I have no friends. I've never had friends. I very socially anxious so I never let anyone in to my life :frowning2:. This is the only community I have.

I'm gay but also very lonley

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all, it wasn't a long rant. It's how you feel and you've taken a big step by letting it out. To say how we feel deep inside can be incredibly hard.

I too experienced an emotional crisis in my late teens/early twenties, which was partly due to being in the closet. I did manage to come through it, but I didn't come out until it all started to build up again. I've said before that I was in a war with my feelings and it was burning me out - all the signs of depression and anxiety were mounting in front of me again. So I had two choices, buckle under or dig deep within myself and come out. It would have been so easy to just crash under the weight of it all, but I lost so much of myself to depression the previous time that I didn't want to go back there, so I took the harder path and 'came out'.

Coming out was terrifying and an ordeal. I was so frightened of rejection and being left alone with no friends or support (there was no Empty Closets back then) and I made numerous failed attempts to say it. I started dropping subtle hints, but I knew I was going to have to say the words eventually and after leaving home I managed it. I did actually write a letter and nearly posted it, but saying it eventually became my choice.

I will not pretend this is an easy process, because it's not. There are so many scary feelings and multiple questions spinning around all of the time. You think of little else... it becomes a bit of a monster and the only way to slay it is to face it down. If it's stopped you from making friends it must seem doubly hard, but remember this site is all about supporting people through this process. Some of us have done it, some of us are thinking about it, some of us are still a long way off, but we all have the benefit of personal and shared experience and mutual understanding and support.

It sounds like you are in that place where it's constantly there and distracting you from living, and in many ways that's pushing you closer to the door than you might imagine. People remain comfortably in the closet when they can switch off and pick up everything else. These are the people who might get to 40/50/60 years old. You are about the same age as me, when I made the decision and you seem to be in a similar place.

I'm not saying "I know how you feel" because I don't - it's your journey and nobody will experience it quite like you, but I think I might have a good idea.

I can't advise you or tell you what to do, but this is a good war to lose, if you can let yourself.

7. HelpImGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for sharing your story. I just wish I felt like i could take the hard path. But I do not know where to start. I know you just have to do it but I'm not there. I really don't to waste my life but I don't know what else to do. Its eating away at who I am and everyday I just feel even LESS enthusiasm yet MORE need to come out. Im so drained

8. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, so how would you feel sharing some of your worries and fears with us? Tell us exactly what you are thinking, rather than locking it away inside and let's see if we can help and support you. I'm interested enough to have replied.

9. HelpImGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have many fears. Being rejected. Once you come out you cant make that person forget it. I also feel I wont cope. I know I feel terrible know but I might feel even worse.

I think uncertainty is massive. I have no idea who I will become, what my life will become or what people will be in my life. Im scared of the unknown.

There are also reasons which I do not know of yet myself. I just feel that I cant. Its not a case of wanting to come out. More a case of HAVING to come out for my sanity

10. Friendly Lion

Rejection can be difficult and I'm still dealing with this myself. As I mentioned earlier, I still haven't come out to my parents (who are active promoters of traditional mariage). Still, many of my friends have come out and have been accepted. Often, parents are accepting of their children no matter what. My girlfrind came out to her parents and they were actually excited! They loved her just as much and were thrilled to meet me.

I, of course, don't know how your parents or piers will respond but I feel they'll support you. Have they ever expressed an objection to homosexuality? If not, you could try bringing it up in a conversation and see what they say.

As for being nervous from the unknown, I can tell you that there are good things waiting for you in some way. No matter what happens, it has to be better than how things are now.

Still, donmt feel the need to rush things. Come out when you're ready and only when you're ready.

11. HelpImGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the nice commebt. I feel my dad is very against it. This hurts me a lot. Im so scared that i will never come out. But I'm so scared of coming out. Sometimes it doesn't make sense even to me

12. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your story resembles mine a lot. I was also one of those happy (though normally introverted) kids who really began to isolate myself once I learned about my sexuality, and now I'm 25 and still in the closet, having never been in any relationship. In high school, I had this huge crush on the older brother of a friend, and I kind of fooled myself into thinking I would come out if he liked me. Well, when I got the courage to call him up and ask if he was "looking at me" (I was pretty vague), he didn't understand, and I quickly hung up and went even further into the closet.

For me, the real change only happened when I moved far from home to my current university. I made a big mistake in staying with my parents for my undergrad years because I couldn't ever meet anyone who might have been out and gay to talk to. So, moving 1000 miles from home was really what I needed to get on with my life. Unfortunately, I kind of got stuck because I continued going to a church (Catholic) that says gays must remain celibate, which I can't accept. However, the past year has really made me more confident about coming out, primarily because I've started having crushes on guys and am tired of being alone anymore.

Feel free to send me a message.

13. HelpImGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks Resu. I know how you feel. I think even if just one person knew it would help

14. IG88

I'm sorry that you've had a rough time, I hope that you'll soon be back to your cheery young self like before. You know at one point you were like that, and you can be like that again.

Since you feel like you need to come out, then I think you should. You don't have to come out to the world all at once, you could start with your parents. Think about it, if you don't want your life to continue the path it's on now, then you need to do something to change it. We don't know for sure if it will be a good change, but at least it will be a change, and that may be worth the risk to come out.

That sucks that your anxiety has sabatoged your ability to gain friends. Perhaps a psychiatrist can prescribe meds for the anxiety. On the bright side, not having any close friends means that you don't have to fear rejection from them. If you came out, every new person you meet will know that you are gay, and if they accept that then they've already became a good candidate to be your friend. No more fear of rejection from people you know, just strangers that aren't worth getting to know anyway!

15. HelpImGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank IG88. I feel I should come out too. But what if my life after coming out is worse than now? I feel like that would push me over the edge. I am so scared its unbelievable

I agree not fearing rejection from my friends. Its the constantness of telling people over and over.

16. HelpImGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank IG88. I feel I should come out too. But what if my life after coming out is worse than now? I feel like that would push me over the edge. I am so scared its unbelievable

I agree not fearing rejection from my friends. Its the constantness of telling people over and over.

17. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you suppose you will be rejected? I thought I would be rejected too and it didn't actually happen (well, not amongst the people who really mattered anyway). Is there something specific that makes you think it will happen to you?

I can't pretend that your fears are without foundation, as they are all genuine concerns and anxieties and it is totally normal to experience them and feel them. It's also normal to be scared to death of confronting them. Just because I've managed it, doesn't make me any better or stronger than you. I was actually shaking and crying when I told my parents and almost choking on the words. I wouldn't say I was coping with it, but I just had to do it (for my sanity too). Like I said, I was going to write the letter, but I opted out of that approach for my own reasons.

There are uncertainties, but I'm not sure they are any greater than other uncertain things in life, it's just how we build them up in our own minds. You will still be the same person you've always been, with one exception - you'll be out and able to 'breathe'. I haven't radically changed as a result of being gay and out of the closet. My values and ideas about life remain the same and my interests are still the same (maybe a bit broader). We are not completely defined by our sexuality - it is but one part of who we are.

Use this forum for support (and friendship). I think it is possible to feel the warmth from other people on here.. even though you don't know them and they may be in other countries. If you've got a long way to go, let us go there with you. :slight_smile:

18. Friendly Lion

When you're coming out, starting with the more important people can be hard. If you go to a university, a church, or some sort of activity, coming out to an accepting friend first can help. It will help you to come to terms with what you feel and who you are. They are almost sure to accept it and, as yousaid, having someone who knows can be important and helpful.

19. HelpImGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think i will be rejected. I am so socially inept that I just feel everyone hates me anyway. I KNOW its not true but my anxiety makes me think like that. I don't want no-one to hate me. I'm scared of being disliked or hated.

I want to be able to breath, I really do. But i have so many scenarios which plauge my mind. One day I may imagine that everything goes okay and I'm happy and have friends. Then next time I imagine it goes really bad. When I play out a coming out scenario in my mind it just frightens me beyond belief. I feel sick and ill instantly. It feels like another lifetime.

Thanks for the comments again. I really appreciate it.

Even writing this I'm choking up. I am so lost I don't know where to go from here

20. Ditz

Hey buddy, you've made the right choice to join this forum and it's a good start, so give yourself a tap on the shoulder as you've already taken the first step in the right direction.

There's a number of positives I can see right now, you are still young, 22 is still at the very beginning of your adult life so unlike me you haven't thrown away years and years of your youth!

Another positive is that you've already figured yourself out.... You know that you are gay and to me it looks like you've accepted it... That's half the battle won already!

Finally, you've made a decision to work on it by joining this group, so things are about to get better just by talking about it with members on this forum.

It is obvious to me that you are depressed at the moment, and that is understandable. I don't know what your personal position is, but it might be a good idea to go speak to your doctor about it, he might be able to prescribe some meds that will help you out of it giving you a clear mind to tackle everything else. If it's not severe you can also try to to do some exercise daily which will get your body to produce endorphins and lift your mood, so think about that as a little side step that you can do to lift your spirits.

Then you've mentioned above that you couldn't join a lgtb group for fear that someone might recognise you and word would get out... I'm thinking you should put those fears aside as individuals in those groups know exactly what you are going trough as they are in exactly the same boat as you and are more likely to support you than go around and gossip about it. I think it's highly unlikely that it's going to blow your cover... In the event that you do recognise someone, go over and talk to them and ask them to keep it to themselves until you are ready to out yourself, it's a reasonable request and one I'm sure any person that understands your struggle will respect. The thing is, by joining a lgtb group you are likely to meet new and interesting people who understand what you are going trough and who will most likely be open to friendship, and that is what you need right now, friends who can be there for you as a support network. They are out there but you will need to take that first step.

Someone else mentioned seeing a counsellor and if that is in your means to do I'd also highly recommend you do that. Bouncing off ideas and getting a different perspective is immensely helpful.

Of course, you also have us to talk to and bounce off ideas.

Remember, there is no rule that says you have to come out now... You can do that when you feel comfortable in doing so... In the mean time, let's get you out of that dark mood and on the road to a happy life!

#20 Ditz, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014