1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is how I'm going to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lordsnow, Apr 6, 2014.

1. lordsnow

So I've made a rather rash decision to come out as gay this week to my family. I made this decision partly because of the amount of stress my body has been under the past week or so. I have not been able to sleep for the past week , and have no appetite to speak of. On top of this I had a killer migraine that lasted for 48 hours straight. I believe my body is trying to tell me to relieve myself of the burden of being a "closeted" gay person. I have not had much time to think about how to come out to my family, but I have decided to do it individually.

Tomorrow I will start by coming out to my sis in an email while she is at community college, Next on Wednesday to my Aunt while we are shopping at the mall. Then Friday night to my Mom,before I leave for a weekend at my Dads. When I return from his house on Saturday night, I will come out to my Grandma. I will probably have to come out to my Dad by phone, since there will be way to many people at his house over the weekend.

Now here's where things get tricky, when I tell someone I'm gay I don't want them to go and tell the rest of my family and "out me" (there are no secrets in my family).
    So when I come out to someone I'm going to initiate a "gag order" they can't tell anyone else family, friends etc. And since I'm coming out to everyone individually they won't know who else knows until I lift the "gag order" when I come out on facebook.

I know this plan sounds stupid, but I can't get everyone I know in the same room. And certain members of my family can't keep there mouths shut. If anyone has better ideas I'm open to hear them:icon_bigg

2. lordsnow

Hey Sister,
    You may have noticed that I have not been myself for the past couple months, not sleeping well, no appetite , nausea, headaches. This is because there has been a battle raging inside me, one that until recently I had refused to believe was over. What I’m trying to say is over the past few months I have gone through a lot of things, And finally feel at peace with myself. I guess the simplest way to put it is I’m Gay. I hope this does not change anything between us, you will always be my little sister. If you have ANY questions at all ask me, NOTHING is off limits. Please do not tell ANYONE ELSE i will tell them all in my own time. ~ Blessing Lordsnow
    P.S we can talk about boys together now

This is my coming out letter that I'm going to email to my sis tomorrow. what do you guys think?

3. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you know exactly what you are doing, have obviously thought it through in detail, and it is going to work out as you have planned, and everything is going to be OK.

I also think that if your icon is a real picture of you, you are soon going to be having a lot of fun with your boyfriend. :eusa_clap

4. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good luck :thumbsup:

5. Destiel

I'm so happy for you lordsnow!

The email sounds perfect! I think your idea is a great one, and I hope that everyone respects you and doesn't tell anyone else.

I think your idea is great and by the sounds of it you know how to word your coming out perfectly so they understand and it will help them come to understand you much easier. I think that this will all go smoothly, and if anyone takes it bad I'm always here to listen! But I think they'll all take it really good. I'm so happy for you and I hope everything goes great! (*hug*)

6. lordsnow

UPDATE

I sent the email to my sister today. And we talked about it after she got home from college. Turns out she wasn't surprised to find out that I was gay, and overall was very supportive. But she did say something that bothered me. When I explained how a came to the realization that a was gay. My sister(paraphrasing) "that a lot of people in their late teens and 20s go though an identity crisis". So I then asked her if she thought I was going though some sort of "stage" and was not really gay. But she successfully dodged the question several times.

7. lordsnow

UPDATE....

I came out to my mom during dinner tonight. She was shocked, but considering everything she took it very well.

8. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Congrats! I'm so amazed by you guys who come up with a plan an execute it so quickly, so flawlessly. Major props! :slight_smile:

9. Destiel

I'm so happy for you! And I'm sure your sister will realize soon it isn't some 'identity crisis'

10. a1rborne

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Actually, finally finding the courage to come out is more often the end of an identity crisis...

11. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Well done lordsnow. :slight_smile:

12. lordsnow

Another Update...

Went shopping with my Aunt today. And kinda just blurted out "I'm Gay" she had some questions, But all in all it went really well.

13. LostAndAffraid

I'm glad it's all working out for you. Keep up the good work.

14. Mist3rI

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    wow, this is so awesome. You are so brave. I'm so glad everyone is taking it well.
    btw I love the talking about boys with your sister, maybe when I'm ready to come out to my sister I'll use that too :slight_smile:

15. King

Glad it is going well for you :slight_smile:

Hope it works out with your dad and grandparents.

16. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great, well done :slight_smile:

17. lordsnow

Yet Another Update...

I told my Grandma who is Catholic today, and she responded by saying " God made you the way you are". I was sooooo relieved to hear that , since I didn't know stance on LGBT issues.

18. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You continue to amaze. :slight_smile:

19. Wolf123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ummmm!!!!! You are awesomeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    awesome that you're getting the support you need so far, this is an interesting outcome, keep going dude.