1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out socially/ socially transitioning

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by wolfxinxchains, Apr 7, 2014.

1. wolfxinxchains

I thought this would classify as coming out, so I figured why not post it in here. Okay, so I'm an FtM and just starting to transition. I would like to know how to come out socially and socially transition. Now, theres a few people that hate my guts, most kids don't really like me cuz I'm crazily annoying. how do I socially come out, to peers, teachers, and basically startthat process. I think I want to come out to my guidance counsellour first or a teacher that I trust. Then come out to astudent who is a bit more popular but who I know will probably except me. probably say: keep it on the down-low for now until told otherwise. is this a good idea or are there just any other ideas on how to do it? I have a history of self-harm, bullying and depression. Thought I'd atleast put in thebullying part (idk thought it would make sense) any thoughts are appreciated

2. juliegt6

First off, hugs! I've been there in depression and really wish you the best. It can really get better. For me, high school was torture, college was decent and the real world has been awesome!!!

I didn't come out in high school; that said, kids still tortured me for being "nerdy"! For a ton of kids, high school sucks hard. I think you're incredibly brave and deserve recognition for that. I know my guidance counselor in high school was a complete waste of space, but your experience may vary. If there is a teacher you can really trust, I'd consider asking them to do some recon and see what options you have.

For the bullying issue, I hate to say this, but bullies often will find one reason or another to hate you. I'm assuming since you're FTM and talking of transitioning, you're at least neutral or more masculine in presentation and manner of dress, so they might give you crap about that already. I was treated horribly for my presentation as well, and did get depressed. It does get better though. I know it's hard to hear that now, especially since high school will be several more years, but it is so true.

I think joining an LGBT support group might help you better deal with the issues as they come up. I really didn't feel one would help me at all, but I once in a great while will go to a local group and occasionally it's just nice to have a bitch session with people who know where I'm coming from. It's worth a go!

I know I rambled but I hope something helped.