1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out Now What?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CommanderMatt, Apr 8, 2014.

1. CommanderMatt

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Recently I finally came to terms with beings an FTM transgender. I've decided I'd give myself some time to adjust to that, but what do I do next? I've come out to three friends and they completely support me through and through, however I'm not entirely sure what to do. My entire family excluding my sister are homophobic, transphobic, among other things. I all ready decided to not come out to family until I live on my own, but where do I go from there? Do I start socially transitioning and see how I like living as a man? Do I start seeing a therapist who specializes in transgender issues? Or do I just continue living as a female until further notice?

2. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

You could try out every idea. And then chose what suits you best:slight_smile:

And sorry for your family! That's not easy.

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What you do next really depends on the options you have available.

There's no two ways about it, socially transitioning is going to be difficult if your family won't accept you.

As for the therapist idea, I guess my big question is 'why bother?'. I mean you know who you are, you don't need a therapist to confirm that. What are they likely to offer you at this point apart from an expensive therapy bill?

Personally I'd start trying to dress more neutral and start making a plan to jump ship. Once you've got your escape plan sorted, then I'd worry about transitioning. (That, or because I'm stubborn as hell, tell my family anyway and argue until one of us dies, but that isn't an option I would necessarily recommend to anyone!)

4. CommanderMatt

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Ellia seeing a therapist is for other issues such coping with being trans and how my bipolar disorder may effect the transitioning (ie HRT therapy). Telling my family would be no bueno. They would think I'm gay, shove me in conversion therapy and shit would hit the fan really fast.

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well in that case I would see the therapist, just try and find a decent one who isn't going to try and tell you that you're not trans.

6. CommanderMatt

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Definitely. I've been researching therapist that specialize in trans issues as opposed to an average run of the mill therapist :icon_bigg