1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it that important to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by happydavid, Apr 8, 2014.

1. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do respect people who do but personally I wouldn't. I always worry about upsetting people at my church and the impact it could have on my family. At the end of the day my happiness is not as important as others. Think it's every individual choice.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I treat coming out like I guess like a bit of a threat.

If I ever find myself telling someone my orientation, I am telling them because I know I can't trust them not to say something stupid or offensive if they eventually find out themselves.

Having said that, I worry about were this sits in your head. You say you are worrying about upsetting people. Part of me wants to type angry things in all caps about how this legitimises homophobic sentiments, but I will refrain from doing so because I know that isn't your intention.

Let me ask you this instead.

Since when is your orientation anybodies business but yours?

3. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I mean no disrespect

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know you don't :slight_smile:

But seriously, how is it anybody else's business?

5. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess coming out means different things to different people. It's also dependant on your situation. For some, it's like a big opening up of themselves, which allows them to feel like they can express and be them selves. For others, it's not a big deal as it's just considered a small part of their overall person.

Also, if you live with say homophobic parents, and are financially dependant on them, then it's not worth coming out as it may have drastic consequences. However, if you are I dependant and can manage regardless of any backlash, then you are much free to come out.

Also, why is your happiness less important then others? This is your life as much as there's. Although it's good to do what you can to try and make others happy, you shouldn't have to sacrifice yours. I mean, if other people can't accept who you are, then why should you care if they are happy or not. They clearly don't care about you if that's the case.

I'm not saying one should be selfish, but if others are going to get upset about something that doesn't even affect them personally, then why should you be unhappy just to appease them.

Happy days :slight_smile:

6. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The thing is the Church shouldn't be upset by your sexuality. That shouldn't define your spiritual side.
    Conformity doesn't make the world better.

7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think it is that's y on my out status it says when I'm ready I will I'm not gonna rush it like everyone else.

8. StillAround

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, Sup... You're not going to rush it "like everyone else?" I'm someone, Sup! You think I rushed it? Beware of generalizations...

Love you, Sup...

9. Nessarose

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, it is important. I practically wear my heart on my sleeve and am honest almost to a fault, so it's hard for me to keep it in. I've said before, I am great at keeping other people's secrets, but not my own.

Sometimes, I think it's better for people to come out because it limits the rumors, but I do agree that it's not really anyone's business but your own.

10. AshBee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm working my way to coming out, I know my mom and brothers will be okay with it. For me I want to do it because I'm sick of hiding a part of me from my family. I feel like I'm lying by omission. Some other little reasons: I want to watch The L Word on netflix and it's a family account, when I play the game Life with my family I want a little pink person next to my pink person in the car, I want to watch my favorite gay youtubers on the good computer in my house instead of hiding in my room on my crappy laptop, and I also want to proudly wear my rainbow bracelet I got from donating to a cause. It's these little things that I know will make me happier, they're my motivation for coming out. For me, in the end, I want to be happy also, not just make others happy.

11. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nope in fact I might not even tell my mom until I move out bc I like to take everything one day at a time :slight_smile:

And love u too (*hug*)

12. IsThisAName

It's not about the fact that our sexual orientation is anyone else's business. It's about it being necessary because we live in a heteronormative society where the assumption is that you're straight, and so to be able to live openly and honestly in regards to who you love, coming out is very important. My mom says often that it's no one's business--but straight people make their sexuality everyone else's business just by virtue of saying "*opposite sex person's name* is hot." Now we know they're attracted to the opposite sex when they say that, so we should have the right to express our sexuality in the same way without shame or having to hide anything. So to answer your question, I do believe coming out is necessary, but in your case, if you're bisexual and don't see yourself dating the same sex in the future or having a relationship, I suppose you wouldn't have to come out. But if you feel a lot of tension just from not coming out, I would say it may be necessary. Coming out really makes you feel a lot better and relieves a lot of stress. At least it did for me!

13. mikey1345

mikey1345 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For me coming out was important. I couldn't hide that part of myself anymore, even though coming out cost me my relationship with my mother I don't regret it. I am my true self, I no longer have to pretend to be something I'm not. And you know what? I think my happiness is just as important as any body else's. You have to make yourself happy before you can even try to make anyone else happy! So Do what makes YOU the happiest.