1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pretty much everyone knows except my mother...not sure how to tell her

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by myrtle33, Apr 8, 2014.

1. myrtle33

'ello everyone!

I'm at the point in my realization of being queer that I've come out to most of my close family and friends. I am very outspokenly pro-LGBTQ+ rights, to everyone. I haven't yet dated a woman or someone of a gender other than my own, and thought honestly about waiting until I did to start coming out. I decided I might as well, being queer is something I've questioned myself about for about 10+ years now. So far, everyone has been super supportive. I can't wait to actually start dating again! :grin:

One problem...I'm really not sure how to tell my mother about me being anything other than straight/attracted to only men. We have a friend of the family that is gay and she is ok with him & was ok with his boyfriend. She's said things to me when she sees gay women like "I wouldn't want to do that, would you? Yuck!" :confused: I want to tell her, and enough people in my family are supportive that I feel like I shouldn't be worried about it. Still, there's that part of me that thinks that it might not go so well, or things may be awkward afterward.

What do you all think? Come out now and hope for the best? Wait until I begin dating someone of a different gender than my own? I really don't know what to do. :frowning2: It would mean so much to me for her to be openly supportive.

2. myrtle33

I just realized this sounded confusing...when I meant gender other than my own, I meant a gender other than male.