1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I be honest?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by whosamelia, Apr 9, 2014.

1. whosamelia

Hi! I've been creeping on this forum for a couple of months but haven't posted anything until now.

So I've been in the process of questioning my sexuality for nearly a year now and I'm probably still in that process, but right now I've reached a state of identifying as bi to myself. I'm pretty open about my sexuality to people online but I haven't told anyone in real life yet and it's beginning to bug me, I really want to start telling people irl soon.

Recently, I've been kind of accidentally getting into conversations with people I know in real life about LGBT matters. Like 4 people, including my mum. They're all straight and all a lot older than me but I can tell none of them have even a shred of homophobia, which is good. So with these people I talked about gay marriage and people coming out and prominent lgbt people and whatever. You could say there were prime opportunities in there for me to say something about myself, but it just... didn't happen. I think they'd all be accepting and everything but you know, I just didn't say anything lol it feels like there's a wall there.

Also there was a kinda really funny but also awkward incident that happened just today..

So I kinda have a crush on this girl. I could go into more detail but I won't right now.

Anyway I have a spanish tutor, I see her every week and we talk in spanish about all sorts of things. (she's one of the 4 people i mentioned earlier btw.) Today, she asked me what I'd done on thursday. She said I could make things up, so I made a joke about having a boyfriend I see on thursdays. Turns out I'd actually seen my real crush on thursday, so I told my tutor about my day, minus the bit about seeing my crush. But then when I finished, I kept going on the boyfriend joke, I was like "Oh! I forgot! I saw my boyfriend!". And then I started saying facts about my "boyfriend", basing them on facts about my real crush... (Am I even making sense at this point.) Anyway, I wanted to just cut the bs and tell her the real situation with the girl I like, but I didn't.
    She joked that I'll have to tell her next week about how everything went with my "boyfriend"... ha. ha.

Soooooo. Thanks for bearing with this long post. Thoughts? Advice? Experiences?

2. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds to me that these people are pretty understanding. It takes courage to tell something like this to people, but if you think they will react positively just go for it. As long as you feel comfortable to do so and you are not at risk of bad repercussions.

All I'd say is try to do it when everyone is in a good mood and comfortable. Try and work it into a conversation rather than, say sitting them down and saying we need to talk. That way it will not come across as some big drastic news as it doesn't have to be.

I always also recommend that you think about what you want to say and prepare for questions. That way you will be more relaxed, and again it won't come across as such big news.

Just remember, you like who you like and there is never anything wrong with that. Your orientation is only a small part of the overall person that you are.

Hope that helps,

Happy days :slight_smile:

3. whosamelia

Thanks! I hadn't thought about the preparing for questions bit, that's a really good idea.
    Yeah, I don't particularly like the idea of having a specific talk about it, just mentioning it when it somehow fits into the conversation is more comfortable I think.
    I guess I've just got to wait and see when the time is right, and I'm pretty sure once I tell one person it'll get gradually easier to tell more :slight_smile: