1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out As Genderfluid

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Orange Bananas, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Orange Bananas

I'm 15 in high school and I've been out as bi for almost 5 years. I just recently came out to myself as gendefluid and I really want to be able to dress however I like, but I've only come out to my very best friend and only sort of. I'm scared of facing people saying that I'm just a crossdresser or that I don't know my gender because I do. I faced some of that coming out as bi, but being bi is a whole lot easier for people to comprehend. How can I help people understand who I am? :help:

2. Manta

As I am in the closet, I can only share ideas, not experiences, but here're my thoughts...

Information is very important. Without any background information or foundation, it will be very difficult to reach a common ground. So maybe have a conversation or two about what gender is first, then introduce your own gender identity? You could bring up something you learned in school as the source of your interest (feminism in history, sex v. gender in biology, poems from 'Leaves of Grass' in literature... you get the idea) or media.

Find something you can use as a lead in to provide more information, and then try to direct them (whoever they are) to informational sites/sources. Once They have a better understanding about what gender is, then you introduce your own gender identity. They also might not be as surprised when you come out if you have decided to be more direct with pointing them towards/providing information.

Those are my ideas anyway, but what you feel comfortable with, and what works for you, only you can know!

3. Orange Bananas

Thanks! I think I'll try that. :slight_smile:

4. Manta

I wish you the best of luck!