1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend's obsession

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by OneBeKnown, Apr 6, 2007.

1. OneBeKnown

OneBeKnown Guest

Okay, so I probably know what kind of answers I'm going to get here (if I get any) but I need a different perspective.

My friend has met this girl on the internet who has the same interests as him. He has liked other girls but only in the flirty way. He claims he loves her - and in a sense I'm happy for him.

But he's only known her a day or two. It's become an obsession and he would choose her over anything - or anyone. It's really annoying me and I don't know whether to say "tone down or I won't be friends" because I know I'll lose a friend. I just don't know how to get through to him because he only has one priority at a time, not a list.

I know I should probably wait it out but this will most likely last a long time, and I can't cope him mentioning her all the time. It seems as if he needs to obsess over something.

Bleh... confusion. :bang:

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    If you say "her or me", you will most certainly lose your friend. I wouldn't suggest that. You might remind him to be careful when getting involved with people on the internet. It can sometimes be very dangerous. I'm saying this, but my daughter just married her internet bf and my son met his bf on the internet too. LOL

Anyway, time for my massage! Whoo hoo!

3. Kimi

Just give him some time...
    You know passionate or sudden obsession won't last long...

If I was your position, I'll wait untill they get in bad mood and say "told ya" and laugh at him...I mean it's not wrong to fall in love with someone through internet but it's not always good.
    So I suggest you to give him some warning then leave him alone and see what happens:wink:

Hope this will help you somehow:smilewave

4. TriBi

Yes - you have to be very careful when confronted by other peoples "obsessions".

Just (maybe) encourage them to keep an open mind, then stand back, while saying "I'm your friend, remember I'll be there for you". Other than that - I can't see there is much you can do...

5. dfgnan21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Also keep in mind that this is all new and exciting for him. It just recently happened and he's lusting. If they do last, I'd expect the relationship between the two of you to change. But if it doesn't, then things will probably go back to the way they used to be.

You're probably right to just wait it out a little while. I know that isn't what you want, but it might save your friendship if you do.

6. OneBeKnown

OneBeKnown Guest

Well it ended sooner than I thought...

Turns out he got a tad too jealous, and found a few things out he wasn't happy about.

Thanks for the help/suggestions though, guys. :grin:

7. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Did it bother you so much because you have feelings for him?

8. OneBeKnown

OneBeKnown Guest

Not really, he's just a close friend. The main concern was that he would not shut up about her at any moment. As said, it's like he needs to obsess over something to let himself go on. If you had a friend who had met someone over the internet and after a day and claims every 2 seconds that his/her friend is their love of their life. Then always talk about what they have in common (even when there's not much) and what kind of conversations they have... which are pretty small.

It was annoying, basically. And I knew he was gonna get hurt. I just wondered if there was anything I could do to let him ease off of her for a bit. But I pretty much already knew the answers I would recieve.

9. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, just checking.

I would find a friend like that pretty annoying. I mean, there's being excited about something and then there's, as you say, obsessing over it.