1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out plan:D

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nerkpoop78, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Nerkpoop78

Hey guys so I've been thinking of how I should come out and came up with a really crazy plan.

So I was thinking of writing down my confession on a piece of paper and hide it somewhere. Then I'll tell my family that I'll be out for my usual exercise and stuff and just leave the house like any ordinary day. I'll then proceed to runaway from home. I know this sounds crazy but I'll bring my wallet secretly(I won't have much cash anyway and I have no access to my ATM...) so that when the worst comes, at least I'm prepared. I'll then text my mum to find the letter and tell her that I'm running away temporarily until things settle down a bit. However, I'll first text her to read the letter. During that period of time, I would run to some place like the church or smth and hide there until my parents ask me to return? I know this plan sounds as crazy as it seems but I cannot imagine myself coming out to them face to face. I am almost certain that they'll be unable to take it.

So what do you guys think?
    Anyways this plan is just something I thought of for my current situation. I'm a student with no job:grin: just asking for opinions whether it's a good plan:slight_smile:

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is quite honestly the worst plan I've ever heard.

I don't want to sound like a bitch when I say that but have you thought that through even a little bit?

You want your parents to at least TRY and accept you, right? So the LAST thing you want to do is scare the hell out the them by telling them you've run away. Sure it might take the edge off the news but then your parents are going to have to deal with a million different emotions and STILL have to deal with your orientation instead of just dealing with your orientation on its own.

Just write a note, go out for the day and text your mum to read the note...

3. HIL91025

You're 16, what is the rush to come out?

If you don't feel ready to come out yet, just don't. I advise you to wait (if you can) until you move out etc. then you are not threatened with the possibility of getting thrown out (if that is how serious you think it will be). I honestly think running away is a ridiculous idea and will probably back-fire beyond what you have imagined...

4. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The use of the word "confession" upsets me. You "confess" for being guilty of a crime or wrongful act. Being yourself is NOT a crime; you are not guilty of anything, you are just gay.

Your parents need to be given the opportunity to discuss this with you without the stress and drama of your "running away from home". Trust me, it will make the whole situation worse than "coming out to them face to face", which is where you are going to end up anyway. If you link running away to being gay, they are going to feel the need to constantly scrutinize where you are and what you are doing afterwards, for fear that you will run away again. You do not want to go there.

If you want to use a letter to come out to them, then write a good one and run it by us for suggestions if you want to. If you want to include something like this: "I know my telling you this may make you hate me and I am prepared to leave home if you can't stand to be around me now that you know..." it will give them the opportunity to be the "good guys" and tell you that is not what they want, and inform them that they need to be careful about what they say to you and how it affects you.

The bottom line of what I am saying is write your letter, have a fallback location with another relative or friend where you can go and they know you will be safe in case they do overreact, then just hand it to them and leave them alone to talk between themselves by going outdoors or to some specific place where they can contact you. They will likely want to talk to you soon after they talk to each other, in case they do not ALREADY know that you are gay, which many parents do.