1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Busted?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Caleb2001, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Caleb2001

I got home from school this afternoon and Mom said we need to talk. She asked me several times was there anything I wanted to talk to her about. I kept saying No. Finally she asked me str8 out about why I wasn't talking to girls as much as my friends. That plenty call me all the time. I told her I just wasn't ready. She told me that if I ever wanted to talk about things that she was here for me and that she usually doesn't do this but we could keep it just between her and me. That I could tell her anything. Dad came home right then and she said we would talk more tomorrow when he was gone.

Do you think I am busted? Is she fishing? Is it true Moms know before anyone? What if I tell her and she changes her mind and tells Dad? I just do not think Dad will be ready. I do not want to cause trouble in the family. Not sure how my big brother would react either.

Has anyone ever been through this? What happened? How did you handle it? This seriously has me worried.

2. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like she knows already. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: You should tell her, and talk to her about your concerns with your dad and your older brother.

She sounds supportive, and it sounds like she's ready to talk about it, so if you're ready you should take advantage of it.

3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sounds like she does know. My mom doesn't know so I can't answer the other questions.

You have basically two options.
    1) Tell her. She said you could tell her anything. If she is against LGBT's I don't think she would of approached you the way she did. And has she done anything in the past that showed you she can't stick to her word? She could maybe help subtly "prepare" your dad and bro so they have a better reaction when you finally come out to them.
    2) Wait. If you're not ready, don't come out. It's completely up to you. Do it in your own time :slight_smile: Nothing worse than getting forced out of the closet...

4. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

It sounds like she knows- but think if you might have left anything around that would be an indicator of your orientation. If not then she might just be fishing. It doesn't seem like she is upset about anything so I suppose it wouldn't hurt to come out whenever you're ready. :grin:

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She knows. It sounds like she'll be supportive.

As scary as it is, I think you should go ahead and tell her, because then there won't be this big, awkward elephant in the room that no one wants to talk about. :slight_smile:

6. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It sounds like she either knows or strongly suspects already and would be accepting. I strongly advise you to work up the courage to tell her when she tries to resume this conversation later -- it's a great opportunity to do so and I can't tell you how much better off you'll be not holding it in for years to come. :slight_smile:

7. Caleb2001

Thanks for all the advice. Not sure how all this is going to come out. Did not sleep much last night. Will have to wait and see what happens I guess

8. Caleb2001

Update. Mom and I had the talk. I admitted I am gay and she told me she knew already. That she could add 2 + 2 up and get 4. Said that for now we should keep it from my Dad. But that he would also eventually add things up. That it is up to my about my big brother. We talked for about 4 hours about it. She asked if I had been with anyone, and I told her no. Then she started in about safe sex and being careful and discreet. And that she would always be my Mom and Love me no matter what. It feels strange but kind of good also. At least now I have someone I can talk to. Of course not about most of it. But about how I feel.
    Thanks everyone who gave me advice.

9. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats dude! So happy for you!

10. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He