1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out letter

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by blondeariana, Jul 26, 2008.

1. blondeariana

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So... I just finished typing this letter that I'm planning to give to my parents. I'm gonna be there when they read it, and it was just kind of a nice way to organize my thoughts. It's kinda long, heh. I thought to post it here to see if anyone had suggestions on how to improve anything. :slight_smile:

------

Dear Mom and Dad,

There has been something going on in my life for a long time that I have not told you about, and I feel like now is the time to reveal it. Telling you this is neither easy nor simple -- in fact, it’s terrifying, which is why I’m telling you in a letter-- but it’s important to me to be truthful and honest with you both, as this is something that is very much a part of me.

I love you both very, very much, which is why I haven’t said anything until I felt entirely sure and was completely comfortable with myself. I hope that you will forgive me for any dishonesty on my part, as it was all done in the name of self-protection. I don’t want to hurt either of you, and I don’t want you to think of me in a different way. I am the same person I was before this -- just happier and more honest with myself and with the world.

I am a lesbian. I am attracted to women on a variety of levels, both emotional and physical. I want to spend the rest of my life and make a family with another woman. I do not believe that this is something that will fade with time. I have been struggling with this for years, and the desire to be honest with myself finally won out last summer. It has been a long, hard journey, and I will understand if this is difficult for you to accept. It is something that was nearly impossible for me to finally accept. And when I finally, finally did, years of confusion and pain fell away. I am a happier, more secure person now due to coming out. This is something that makes my life whole and complete.

I ask for your compassion and understanding, even though I am sure this is difficult for you both. Please, please ask me any questions you have. I want this to be a step towards honesty and truth in our relationship. There are many resources available for you and for me -- books, brochures, videos, PFLAG (Parents and friends of lesbians and gays) meetings we can go to. There’s a PFLAG group held in a church down in ------- that meets once a month, and it seems like a fantastic support group if you feel like we need it.

More than anything, I want you to understand that we are not alone in this. This journey, this path, has many other people that are traveling it along with us, and I know we have their unfaltering support and love. This is not easy, but it is something that I believe we as a family can endure, and will eventually bring us closer together.

Thank you always for your support and love.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think your letter is excellent. I've got no advice at all to give to make it any better. Hope it goes well for you. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. biisme

I think that it's a great letter, and that you're very articulate. i wish u the best of luck when you give it to them.

(*hug*)

4. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

seems good to me....best of luck :slight_smile:

5. ccdd

ccdd Guest

It's a lovely letter, and I can't think of any way you could improve it.

I wish you all the luck in the world (*hug*)

6. I think is a great letter!
    I hope all goes well when you give it to them!

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Great letter! Good luck in giving it to your parents and I hope they do take advantage of PFLAG! :slight_smile:

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a great letter. Good Luck. I hope it goes well for you

9. Mmmike

A letter is a very good idea.
    It shows what you are saying comes from the heart. I hope everything works outt :]] Good luck.

10. Hydrogen

Very good letter. No advice. Hope everything goes well!

11. Ty

Ty Guest

Brilliant letter :slight_smile: Can't think of anything else that would need to be added.

12. berileos

berileos Guest

Good luck!And keep us posted....:icon_wink

13. BreakingGlass

That was a great letter. Good luck! :icon_bigg

14. biisme

Be sure to tell us how everything goes.

15. EM68

Its a great letter. good luck

16. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

The only advice I can give is make sure you replace "-------" with the name of the town. It's an incredible letter.

17. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

Defiantly a great letter but I would suggest you write it out by hand instead of typing it - it's a little more personal that way.

18. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that's a fantastic letter, you say everything that needs to be said in just the right way. Good luck!

19. MusicIsLife

Great letter! good luck, i hope everything goes well! :slight_smile:

20. HalfInsane

Seems like an excellent letter to me. Well thought out and well said. I wish you the best of luck with it!