1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Specific advice about coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by wontwalkblindly, Apr 12, 2014.

1. wontwalkblindly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Background info: I'm in high school. I live with my grandmother and my mother. My mother is accepting/supportive of the LGBTQ community although she doesn't know that much about it (like she will use incorrect pronouns for a trans* person sometimes but she's not trying to be mean, and she is only aware of the sexual orientations: straight, gay, and bi). I'm not exactly sure how my grandmother feels. She never really showed a bias either way, although I do attend a homophobic church with her (but I'm not homophobic so... Idk).
    Anyway, yesterday was Day Of Silence, and she found out I was doing it and what it was, and she didn't say much but she gave me a thumbs up for participating? So I guess that's good?
    And I've been waiting for a positive reaction from her to anything LGBTQ related for months, so that I would have some sort of assurance that coming out wouldnt be too bad.
    So my question is... Since that was the very first thing and it wasn't like she was thrilled or anything... Should I wait for more positive things? Should I just come out now? What should I do?!

2. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

A good way to test the waters is to ask about views on legalizing same-sex marriage. It is the most media-centered "thing" happening related to the LGBT community so, often enough, if they support it, they will most likely support the LGBT community as a whole, and if they don't, then they often are homophobic. Bring it up if it ever comes up on the news :3