1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to therapist.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SoulKing, Apr 12, 2014.

1. SoulKing

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi

So a couple of days ago I came out to myself,after years of denial and bargaining I've finally managed to come to a point where I can admit to myself that I'm gay. *

Since admitting this to myself I've spent the last few days reading numerous threads here on EC and have decided to take my time before coming out to my parents and other family members.

I am wondering however if I should come out to my therapist, I suffer from social anxiety disorder and after thinking about it for a while my anxiety started around the same time that I had gay feelings for the first time and I honestly think that it might be one of the roots of my anxiety.

So let me know what you guys think am I doing the right thing or am I rushing by coming out to my therapist.

Thanks for reading my post.
    SoulKing

2. MyTruth2013

I don't have any hands on experience with coming out to a professional, but I can only see this helping you in the long run. Your therapist may be more able to help you once you've provided them with a more complete picture of yourfeelings. After all how can you expect them to fully council without having all the pieces of the puzzle! This may go a long way to sorting out the origion of your anxiety. I can understand the lenghty period it can take to 'come out' to yourself first! That can be half thr battle. So my advise tell your therapist, it may be the safest environment to explore your feelings!

3. mawwhite

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think its important your therapist knows. As you already suspect some of your struggles might be related to being in the closet. Besides if you therapist is any good he should be supportive and will be better able to help you help yourself.

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No... get it out. It feels so good to get it out and at least put it there to someone in person.

5. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If they're so connected, it'll really help your ability to benefit from therapy.

6. Max921

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You sound like me, except I don't have a therapist. I'm looking though, but I'm still trying to find the courage to contact one.
    Recently I've been put on an SSRI for anxiety and low mood.
    In the past few days, I've completely accepted that I'm gay. It has taken a very long time to get to this point. Like you, I feel a part of the reason I have anxiety is because I'm not living authentically.

So I think it's a good idea to come out to your therapist:slight_smile: He or she will appreciate your honesty, and it will help you move forwards.
    I hope to do something similar, so I can have support from a neutral party, giving me the platform to believe in myself before telling a friend.

7. Gambit

If you like your therapist, coming out to him/her would be a great idea IMO. I told mine, and it went well. I figured that if I wasn't completely honest with him, he wouldn't get the whole picture. Therapists are likely to be supportive and they can help you with what you are going through. As someone mentioned earlier, being able to talk with someone about you being gay feels great; it helped me put things in perspective and gave me courage to come out to my roommate and other friends.

Good luck

8. Corwin

I agree with the others here - I would tell him/her. I'm new here as well and have only recently admitted the truth to myself, but I'm seriously thinking of seeing a therapist for the first time in my life. There's one locally who works with LGLBT issues, and as this is all new to me, I'd like the benefit of his experience.

In your case, since you have a therapist, I would absolutely discuss it. Like others said, he needs the big picture, and since he already knows a lot about you, he has a good context to discuss it with you.

9. Wolf123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You definitely should if you like him or her as a therapist. My therapist was kind of interesting because she said she had an idea, but wanted me to say something. When I got there one day I had to ask her to take a guess why I was so depressed and she mentioned about sexuality. She was right on the money and never has judged me. Actually she has never judged me on anything. I think she knows what she is talking about when it comes to sexuality because she has helped me immensely and I was even told by my family doctor (whom I first came out to) that I should ask my therapist about where would be a good place to meet other people like me and you. I still have struggles and denial at times, but I think it will be okay. I think some people have accepted it and I still will one day tell myself....oh my gah I like girls. I loved my doctors response.....so you like girls.....but you are not defined by your sexuality, but rather who you are as a human being. I think you should mention it to your therapist. I think by doing this it can give you someone face to face to talk to. Have a great day

10. Kenaz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As someone who is quite the counseling lover and social work student, I can only say that people who go into the therapy field are often looking for moments of breakthrough and self-discovery like this to be shared with them. After all, this is a two-way relationship and often people such as ourselves gain just as much happiness and joy as you.

I am unfamiliar with the laws, but I would double check that nothing you share (aside from life-threatening things like suicide or harming another) will be shared with others since you do not want this out yet.

Since they are your therapist they definitely should have as much of the picture that you can give them so you can fully benefit from their knowledge and services. Also don't forget that you have all of us here as well! :slight_smile:

Love to You! (*hug*)(&&&)

11. Kenaz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Checking in on you, SoulKing. How are things?